Anyone had WLS or considering it?

Options
2»

Replies

• slimsheila
    slimsheila Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rabbi, you're right. You still have to have the discipline to be successful regardless of your method of choice.
  • tboosrn
    tboosrn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is a BIG decision. You do need to consider the risks, because they are real. While statistically the risks of surgery are low, if it happens to you, you are 100% going to live with whatever it is. Having said that, the risk of obesity carries a higher statistical risk of health issues. I tried for years to lose weight and did so with varying degrees of success, but could never maintain any of the loss. It was disheartening and life limiting for me. When I finally decided to do it, I accepted the possibility of a bad outcome and proceeded. I had a gastric sleeve December 2012. I did have a minor complication of an incision infection which took about 7 weeks to heal, but other than that, I've been very fortunate. I am thrilled with my results, and very hopeful about my future. I have about 50-60 more pounds to go to get to my dream goal, but even if I only lost another 30-40, I'd be happy. I have a new life now, and I LOVE it. The thing is, I had a great life before, but weight loss has helped me in so many ways. For me, it was the right decision, at he right time in my life. I had contemplated it for years before I actually did it - that's how long it took me to realize I couldn't do this on my own. I know my future will require constant diligence regarding diet and exercise, and I'm ok with it. I never want to go back to where I was. It's not easy, but the surgery does give you a leg up as long as your head is in the right place. Good luck with your decision.
  • larsen626
    larsen626 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 1/31/2013 I lost 57 lbs pre op and 71 lbs post op I would not go back and I have friends and family that have had rout n Y I have seen most of them gain it back but I have decided that will NOT happen to me I will keep using MFP and measuring and working hard I NEVER want to see 300 on my scale again!!!! I am very dedicated to my journey and I will not be going back!! it is not an easy decision but I am open to friends and questions you might have. this is not the easy way out but it can be a fantastic tool used correctly
  • Buttaflyqueen74
    Buttaflyqueen74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Shelia and I had my bypass just this month November 1st. I'm just searching to see if anyone that had the bypass, sleeve, or the band that wants to share their experience and help motivate me or anyone else.
  • Minskygirl
    Minskygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Sheila, I was sleeved Monday, Nov 14th. I had to do two weeks of metifast. It was rough but I stuck with it and lost about 13 pounds, in addition to seven I had lost on my own. Now I'm in the clear liquid stage and have been so hungry yesterday and today. I'm having a hard time getting through. How have things been for you since your surgery?