Can I actually lose weight walking?

2»

Replies

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    I never eat back my exercise calories. I eat 1200 calories per day and measure and weigh and RECORD everything. I have lost 35 pounds at a rate of 2-3 pounds per week. I walk 45 minutes a day and do zumba 3 times a week.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    peppypea wrote: »
    celiah909 wrote: »

As to my activity, I am usually walking twice a day and swimming once a day. I am determined to look less "beach ball-y" *le sigh. According to my MFP I usually "earn back" anywhere from 200-800 calories back- some days I use the extras, other days I do my best to ignore them, that's hard, because, donuts. *winky face*

What are you using to find out you are "getting 200-800 calories back"?

I use a FitBit to track on MFP and with my activity I "earn" extra calories (like so far today with my walk I earned 138 calories)

I am on the fence about whether or not I should allow myself to use them, KWIM? Most days I don't, but some days, for the safety of others I do use them.

I always think you have to test it out. I have my calories set low and then eat back what I workout. I use an Apple Watch, I'm not sure how accurate fitbits are.

I'm 5'8, 171 pounds, 36 years old. My calories are set to 1350 and then I use exercise calories.

And I'm with you, sometimes for the safety of others I eat over my calories! Haha

• peppypea
    peppypea Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2017
    Honestly, probably the biggest problems are:
    1. comparing myself to my frienemy
    2. expecting faster results.

I am averaging 38 miles of walking a week and this week I have added 4 hours of water aerobics.

Slow. Steady. (hoping for patience.)

One day I'll get there. Slowly. But. Surely.
  • mynewme210
    mynewme210 Posts: 39 Member
    Ive lost most of my weight for my goal by walking. Started to add more when my body got use to it and got easy for me. Had a step counter took about 10k steps a day. started two months and a week ago.Lost 33 pounds Im about 17 pounds from goal of a health bmi not my final goal but a starter goal. Im 4'11 and only 20
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Okiludy wrote: »
    2 lbs a week is a bit fast. I am very obese and did it at the beginning but I started having really bad delayed onset muscle soreness from workouts. I also was chronically tired. It was a mistake even in the morbidly obese range to lose that fast IMHO. 1 to 1/2 lbs of weight loss is better for a lifestyle change.

Back on topic: Yes walking and calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. So will just a calorie deficit. The walking part just helps increase overall health at same time.

DOMS is normal even in those who arent losing weight fast or even at all.2 lbs a week is fine(not fast at all its actually a healthy range) for those with 75 lbs or more to lose.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Absolutely you can! There are tons of forums and communities dedicated to "walking yourself thin". And it's good you have Fitbit since all of their group challenges and solo adventures are based on steps (good motivation for a walker).

I don't know your overall fitness level, but to make sure you're *really* burning as much as you're awarded so that you can confidently eat back some of those calories... randomly stop every now and then and do 10 squats and keep walking... then "step up" on benches if you're in a park or walking track. Add a few push ups... stop and jog in place. A few lunges. Whatever you can do. And don't log the extra exercises separately. Then you are burning more calories and can feel confident in your walk-burns. Plus adding body weight exercises help you achieve a "cute body" easier than walking alone.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Walking is my only form of exercise, and without it i would seriously struggle to stay in a deficit! Walking everyday get's me out of the red (in my diary), and in to the green.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I'd like to be losing 2lbs a week. So far it seems about .5 lb/week.

I just hate that a friend of mine started 4 weeks after me and exercises less and just changed a meal for a shake and she says she's lost 13lbs in that time. It effing kills me. Can't wait for her to make it to stupid menopause, too. *pouts

Tell her you lost 15. :)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Absolutely you can! There are tons of forums and communities dedicated to "walking yourself thin". And it's good you have Fitbit since all of their group challenges and solo adventures are based on steps (good motivation for a walker).

I don't know your overall fitness level, but to make sure you're *really* burning as much as you're awarded so that you can confidently eat back some of those calories... randomly stop every now and then and do 10 squats and keep walking... then "step up" on benches if you're in a park or walking track. Add a few push ups... stop and jog in place. A few lunges. Whatever you can do. And don't log the extra exercises separately. Then you are burning more calories and can feel confident in your walk-burns. Plus adding body weight exercises help you achieve a "cute body" easier than walking alone.

Amazing! Thank you for this!
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Walking is great. It works. mOnitor your eating and keep doing it. As we age, losing weight is more challenging.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Tell her her colon will fill right back up once she starts eating real food again.

I second the exercises keep at it
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited July 2017
    OP, did u ever found out ur maintenance caloric intake number? I did the calculation from a website n it says your maintenance number is at 1765
    https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=42&g=female&lbs=193&in=61&act=1.2&bf=&f=1

U r eating at 1650 n doing walking as exercise n losing .5lb a week ( an average of -250 cal a day) so it seems to be right. u can confirm the 1765 number by using diff tdee calculators n if it confirms then u either eat less n lose more or accept the current progress.

Good luck!

PS walking as an effective weight loss tool in ur BMI Category is PERFECTLY fine but u have to do it daily n for an hour at a time to achieve the progress that u like.
  • BigMo2017
    BigMo2017 Posts: 30 Member
    The short answer is yes. I've been on MFP for 135 days now and walking has been my main form of exercise to back up my calorie monitoring. I usually walk 3 - 5 km per day (when I can) just by getting out of my workplace during my lunch break. I don't eat back the calories I burn and use the runtastic app to log my walks.

SW = 231 lbs
    CW = 173 lbs
    TW = 168 lbs
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited July 2017
    I get a minimum of 10k steps daily- working hard, not strolling. Weekdays I am averaging 16k.

I am keeping my calories at 1650 most of the time, though I let myself use my "extra" calories some times when I make at least 15k.

This is so slow going- am I ever going to really see definable results? I just wanna have a cute figure. (Healthier lifestyle is a side-benefit, don't hate.)

Don't eat back your calories. You are almost certainly overestimating calorie burn from walking. A decent rule of thumb for calories burned during walking is

(0.3)*(body weight in pounds)*(miles walked).

I weigh 188 pounds. If I walked 5.7 miles (about 10,000 steps for me), that works out to 320 calories.

Walking doesn't burn many calories at all. It's great exercise and it's a great stress reliever, but if you're counting on walking to get skinny you had better be walking at least 10 miles a day.

* Edit to fix my bad math.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    I get a minimum of 10k steps daily- working hard, not strolling. Weekdays I am averaging 16k.

I am keeping my calories at 1650 most of the time, though I let myself use my "extra" calories some times when I make at least 15k.

This is so slow going- am I ever going to really see definable results? I just wanna have a cute figure. (Healthier lifestyle is a side-benefit, don't hate.)

Don't eat back your calories. You are almost certainly overestimating calorie burn from walking. A decent rule of thumb for calories burned during walking is

(0.3)*(body weight in pounds)*(miles walked).

I weigh 188 pounds. If I walked 3.3 miles (about 10,000 steps for me), that works out to 186 calories. That's about one small scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Walking doesn't burn many calories at all. It's great exercise and it's a great stress reliever, but if you're counting on walking to get skinny you had better be walking at least 10 miles a day.

mfp is designed to eat back your calories which is why most eat back 25-50% so if they do overestimate exercise then that should cover it. since MFP has your deficit built in without exercise,any additional exercise will make that deficit bigger,which for some may not be a good thing especially not eating them back