Eating 1200cal and gained 2 lbs?!

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You mention you're logging consistently, which is great! Are you weighing all your food with a scale?

I don't weight my food actually, do u find a serious difference with this? When I weigh my food, let's say chicken for instance, do you weigh it before it's cooked or after?

If you log 4 oz chicken, how do you know you actually ate 4 oz of chicken if you don't use a scale? Most chicken breasts come in at about 8 oz...so if you ate a whole breast and logged 4 oz, it's more likely than not that you actually ate double what you logged.

Thanks for the realization.... I'm new so I definitely will incorporate your tip into my regimen

Weighing helps you get a handle on portions...people are generally pretty bad about eyeballing things. And as for the chicken example, a lot of people will look at a label that states a serving is 4 ounces and will just assume a breast is about 4 ounces when in reality a whole breast is usually more on par with 2 servings.

I still use my scale, but not as much as I used to...I was pretty religious about it when I was losing weight, but it gave me a pretty good handle on how to eyeball a lot of things now...and I've been in maintenance for 4+ years so I do have a bit more leeway for error.
  • abrooks0519
    abrooks0519 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You mention you're logging consistently, which is great! Are you weighing all your food with a scale?

I don't weight my food actually, do u find a serious difference with this? When I weigh my food, let's say chicken for instance, do you weigh it before it's cooked or after?

I had a feeling that might be the case, but didn't want to assume.

Yes, weighing really, truly makes a huge difference. When most people start weighing their food (including me), they find that they've been seriously underestimating how much they're eating. Food scales are cheap, and they make a world of difference. I highly recommend it.

Weigh ingredients before cooking, and be sure to include any cooking oil and condiments, as well as beverages.

I bet you'll see you're taking in more calories than you thought, and if that's true, you can scale back to start *really* meeting your goals! :smiley:
    Thanks so much for that! I never thought to weigh my foods (I know that sounds dumb)
    I will go buy one today! And thanks for posting those links!!
  • abrooks0519
    abrooks0519 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

If you log 4 oz chicken, how do you know you actually ate 4 oz of chicken if you don't use a scale? Most chicken breasts come in at about 8 oz...so if you ate a whole breast and logged 4 oz, it's more likely than not that you actually ate double what you logged.

Thanks for the realization.... I'm new so I definitely will incorporate your tip into my regimen

Weighing helps you get a handle on portions...people are generally pretty bad about eyeballing things. And as for the chicken example, a lot of people will look at a label that states a serving is 4 ounces and will just assume a breast is about 4 ounces when in reality a whole breast is usually more on par with 2 servings.

I still use my scale, but not as much as I used to...I was pretty religious about it when I was losing weight, but it gave me a pretty good handle on how to eyeball a lot of things now...and I've been in maintenance for 4+ years so I do have a bit more leeway for error.

Hmm.... I'm sure I haven't been eating the correct portions then! Thanks for the tip! That will definitely make a difference now I'm sure!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Chicken is purchased already weighed. If you buy 1 lb of chicken breasts you can divide that by the number of pieces in the package and know whether your breasts are 4 or 8 oz. Unless you are specifically eating the biggest pieces and giving the smallest ones to someone else, your logging will average out.

A scale is helpful, but common sense can also go a long way.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Chicken is purchased already weighed. If you buy 1 lb of chicken breasts you can divide that by the number of pieces in the package and know whether your breasts are 4 or 8 oz. Unless you are specifically eating the biggest pieces and giving the smallest ones to someone else, your logging will average out.

A scale is helpful, but common sense can also go a long way.

That's great for raw, less good for frozen... which can be mislabeled by up to 20%
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options