Hell's B*tch...Woman Question

Options
thelightyoubring
thelightyoubring Posts: 9 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
During your time of the month do you give yourself any wiggle room on the scale?
For like a week and and a half starting a few days before...I get really bloated and start retaining water. Like I went JUST getting into the 150's at 159 to waking up to being 161.8!!! Then back down to 160 and now back to 161 and im eating an exercising the same. This happens every month and drives me insane...

My cycle is never consistant either.

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes. I gain weight during ovulation and again two weeks later.
  • geektoriasecret
    geektoriasecret Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep; your body naturally retains water during your period, so you'll weigh a bit more. Mine has fluctuated by five pounds before! Don't stress too much about the numbers on the scale, especially if you know you're on your period.
  • bettycooker
    bettycooker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's normal, just don't weigh yourself too much during this time because it will discourage you! Good luck : )
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates independently from my cycle, but if I did retain water every month because of it, I'd just have to accept it.

Why does it drive you insane when you know that it happens every month?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate this part about being a woman. I can grow a bra size and weight like 5 lb more approaching that time then once it arrives poof back to normal. No wonder we get so grumpy
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So, uh, also, blood is very heavy? You're gonna weigh a little more. Your body isn't lining your uterus with air. ;)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    There are 2-3 days per month Ill eat at maintenance so I dont go on a murderous rampage.
    Diet + flo = dangerous territory. So I feed my hormones to appease them.

I still weigh myself but fully expect a stall or slight gain over these days.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hate it! But its expected
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My scale weight goes up at AF time, every time. It's only a couple pounds and if I don't eat crazily during AF, it all comes off after AF leaves with whatever I would have lost during that timeframe also.

Some women eat a lot more at certain times in their cycle. This has never been the case for me. If anything I'm less hungry than average and rarely ever experience cravings I can correlate to hormone changes. I also don't get crazy hungry while nursing or pregnant either. It just isn't the case for all women.

Edited for clarity.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I will generally see 3-4 lb gain when my body retaining water, but it usually comes right off by the next week. No need to freak out. There are things that we cannot control no matter how hard we try. Continue on with your normal routines.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's normal. I find I gain a bit a week or two before it starts. And then, one side effect I've got during TOM is... to put it delicately? A lot more calories out. So it pretty much works out to a slight gain on the scale right before and a significant loss right after.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Just about your plan and it will fix itself in a few days. I agree with previous poster about sometimes needing to eat at maintenance.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yep, every month during shark week my weight will jump around like crazy. And it usually stays a few lbs more than what I would expect, then as soon as I'm done I instantly drop a few lbs. At first it freaked me out and was really discouraging but I'm used to it now. I guess it's more common for woman to hold onto more weight before and lose it as soon as they start but everyone is different
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Don't have to "give myself wiggle room" because I know that the day-to-day numbers don't mean anything. You shouldn't be reacting to a number on the scale with a change in diet or exercise or anything like that unless the number keeps going up for a month or more. You know what time it is. Just wait it out.