Going camping this weekend! Need some low calorie camp meals.

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I'm thinking about taking the family tent camping this weekend and I need some low calorie meal ideas that are easy to pack up, put together and cook with just a fire pit. All I've got so far are salad fixin's in a cooler and some chicken sausages.

And if the cooler didn't tip you off, my idea of camping is a little tame. We'll be in a tent but at a state park with an electrical hookup.

Replies

• gjcoleman1
    gjcoleman1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We are going camping too this weekend. I plan to do kabobs with peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, and diced chicken breast on a skewer. Sometimes we even add pineapple to the kabobs (or just put large pieces on the grill).

You can also do hobo dinners (or foil packet dinners) that you just put down in the fire pit. Wrap veggies such as carrots, celery, potatoes, etc in foil with a ground beef patty. You can do the same with chicken.

I also do baked potatoes on the fire. Just wrap heavily in foil and put in pit.

Since you have electricity, you can also take an electric griddle to cook meals on. We use ours mostly for breakfast and do most other meals on the grill, but it could be used for any meal.
  • PCOSBabyDreaming
    PCOSBabyDreaming Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    gjcoleman1 wrote: »
    We are going camping too this weekend. I plan to do kabobs with peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, and diced chicken breast on a skewer. Sometimes we even add pineapple to the kabobs (or just put large pieces on the grill).

You can also do hobo dinners (or foil packet dinners) that you just put down in the fire pit. Wrap veggies such as carrots, celery, potatoes, etc in foil with a ground beef patty. You can do the same with chicken.

+1 to this suggestion! Shrimp, sausage, and corn on the con work well in hobo dinners, too.
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    We camp all the time too, but with our travel trailer so I have a kitchen with me. For our last trip I found some Ballpark bun length turkey dogs. They're 45 calories compared to 160 for a regular bun length Ballpark dog. I was able to eat one with a bun for 155 calories, and my husband and kids had the "good" dogs. Baby carrots for crunch instead of chips. And always some fruit.
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You can also find some pretty low calorie canned chili to put on the hot dogs. Either Hormel or Wolf makes a turkey version with no no beans that's pretty low. The turkey dogs are really bland so they need something on them. I went crazy with the mustard last time.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky :heart:
  • fragilefleur
    fragilefleur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The foil packet thing is always a win. We do salmon with lemon slices and dill, throw in some zucchini, summer squash, onions, or you can even grill or foil packet asparagus. Breakfasts you can do the low sugar oatmeal packet with berries and almond milk or cottage cheese and berries or yogurt and berries. Also plain old scrambled egg whites with added veggies like spinach, peppers/onions/chipped tomatoes and can add some fat free feta if you need more protein (it has a lot of sodium though) lunches I can't remember as well but you could make a simple turkey deli meat slice with some laughing cow Swiss cheese spread inside or j saw one that had pickle or avocado in the center of the roll ups. Add some crunchy hand edible veggies like celery, baby carrots, snow peas are my currant fave, or buy a pre cut up veggie tray and baggy up mixed crudités and bring some fat free ranch dressing.
    Snacks try to go for protein and veggies or a handful of fruit with your protein. Example: mini babybel light cheese or string cheese and a handful of cherries or grapes. Bring plenty of water and if you like it crystal lite or those drops you can buy to add to water. For less artificial you can make herbal tea like hibiscus (has a good tangy flavor) or berry teas or whatever makes you happy. Mint iced tea is nice in summer. You can grill chicken tenders on a stick on the grill and do foil packet veg or kebab veg as someone else suggested. Watch out for BBQ sauce. It's super sugary. You could prob do a light Italian dressing as a marinade for chicken or lemon/herbs. We sometimes just use just garlic powder, paprika and a basic blend of mixed seasoning like braggs seasoning. I tried bringing dried fruit but realized how high it is in sugar so no go. Salt free almonds in a small handful are a quick source of energy if you are very active. If you are an eggs and bacon person use egg whites or we sometimes use the southwest flavored egg beaters and if you want bacon use a slice of Canadian bacon. Less messy and way lower fat.
    The butter that comes in a pump bottle is good for cooked veg and spray olive oil if you need to prep a pan. Boca burgers are a non meat and fast cooking burger. Leave off the bun. Use reduced sugar ketchup, fat free mayo and frozen bag of prechopped peppers and onions for a variety of meals including topping a burger. Ground turkey, chicken or lean beef smallish burgers are ok too. Add garlic/onion powder, paprika etc to give more flavor.
    And for emergency dinner but a can of low carb low fat chili bc you never know when you might be rained on or not have easy time building a decent fire.
    Enjoy your trip and I hope this helps.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Remember to keep it simple
    Pot noodles
    Nuts
    Dairy Lee dunkers
    Cereal bars
    Apples
    Baked beans