Runners: questions from a beginner

Options
Hello all,

My goal is to run a 5K by October 12. Right now I am running a mile in about 11 minutes on a treadmill with no incline. Running a mile is very uncomfortable for me - painful joints, totally out of breath, red in the fact, etc. It is also an extremely tough mental challenge - the entire time, my brain is screaming, "Please, can we just stop?!" So, up until now, I haven't yet pushed myself to do more than a mile. Some people might question why I even want to do this - but I used to love to run, when it came naturally to me (i.e., when I was young and in shape!) However, I've never bothered with it since being overweight.

So here are my questions...I will love you forever if you can answer one, two or all :)

1. Is it feasible to think that I can run the entire 5K by Oct. 12 if I keep training? I will realistically probably not run every single day like a lot of "couch to 5K programs seem to suggest - If I commit to it every day, I think I'll burn out quickly.

2. I love yoga and also enjoy strength training - any particular stretches or training to improve running? Any other types of physical activity you do as part of your running training, or just to supplement?

3. What MENTAL exercises help keep you sane? Sometimes I know it's time to run and it is absolutely the last thing on earth I want to do. Other times I want to stop running so bad that I literally can feel myself tearing up. It is just SOOO hard.

Thanks ... I admire you all for doing what I hope to do someday! :)

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k don't suggest you run every day, it is 3 times a week.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Slow down! You should be able to carry on a conversation while running. You have plenty of time to build up to 5k. Yoga and strength training are a great compliment to running. And go outside! Running on a treadmill is torture. Running outside is glorious!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner runner as well, and I'm MUCH slower than you lol. The C25K program I use is every other day, and I'm repeating week 2 next week since I tweaked my leg this week. As far as doing a 5K by October, absolutely you can do that! While training, the best advice I can give you is to slow down. Speed can come later. Right now you need to focus on endurance; if you're red in the face, out of breath, and in pain after a mile, you do not need to be going that fast. Slow down to the point where you can hold a conversation with someone else.

For mental exercises, I will find a spot (such as a mailbox or a pole) and focus on it. Rinse and repeat. It also helps that I know the exact distance my route takes me, so I can tell myself "ok, halfway there" "3/4 of the way through" "you hit a mile here" etc etc

I've heard squats and lunges are great ways to stretch yourself out and run better. Can't verify it though
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You can definitely run 5K by October. I definitely recommend doing Couch to 5K or at least doing intervals. Also, as Shawshank said, Couch to 5k is 3 days a week.

You may be running too fast - try more like a 12 minute pace - also doing intervals will help you enjoy running more. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are running. I have run a half marathon at a 9:48 pace, but most of my training runs are anywhere from 10 -11:30 minutes. Your goal starting out is not to run fast, but to develop endurance.

Any yoga is helpful - I really like downward dog or anything else that either stretches or strengthens the legs and hips.

I usually listen to audio books when I run - really gives me something to look forward to on a run!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I am training for a 1/2 marathon right now that i am doing in October with my Sister. She is a runner and has done many in the past. I am currently up to 6 miles. I will tell you what she told me the other day when i said i am not sure i will be able to run 13 miles and what have i gotten myself into...

You will do fine, 13 miles is 13 miles whether you run it or walk it. You will get the same benefits from walking as running, it will just take you longer if you walk. And there will be others doing the same thing.

For some reason that does make me feel better.

Just take it slow, like ZenlnTexas said, you should be able to carry on a conversation while running. Your goal right now is to add miles not add speed. Build up to it as you feel comfortable. I do think the 2nd mile is MUCH easier than the first! Try slowing down a bit and adding .2 of a mile and go from there.

I would think you should be able to do it by October though.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You should look at the couch to 5k apps. They are 3x a week and never 2 days in a row. It also eases you into running. I assume the 5k is outside? If so, you should be training outside as its very different than a treadmill.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    In addition to everything already said...

Feel free to slow it down and definitely don't worry about running the whole time. Do run/walk intervals - when I was getting back into running after a big injury, I used to jog (slowly!) for 5 minutes and then walk for 2...eventually the jogging part doesn't seem to require as much effort; you you can step it up that way. =)

Good luck!
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I GET TO SLOW DOWN??? YAY!!!!!!!

Haha, no seriously, I really hadn't thought about that. Also, good news that I don't have to run every day. I realized I must have been thinking of when I briefly attempted to do a "Couch to Marathon" program and then injured my knee after a week. I had not yet learned the power of baby steps! lol.

Thank you all - this is such great advice and very encouraging!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Slow down! You should be able to carry on a conversation while running. You have plenty of time to build up to 5k. Yoga and strength training are a great compliment to running. And go outside! Running on a treadmill is torture. Running outside is glorious!

Don't mess with Zenintexas. Everything she says here is right! Keep it easy. Keep it comfortable. Progress will come -- if you stick with it. But it won't if you go all out and quit.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    1. Yes
    2. Open the hips and hammies. Pigeon pose is one of my favs. iTunes has several yoga podcasts including some targeted for runners. Also squats and lunges
    3. No, just suck it up and run
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes, slow down! When I first got to running a full 5k last year, I was averaging 13 min miles. 1 year later I'm down to 8:45 per mile for 5k. Speed takes time. Definitely run every other day. It will keep you from getting injured. Try a couch to 5k program.

I haven't tried the 5k version, (half marathons are my current favorite distance), but I really like the zombies run app. It's fun getting involved in the storyline about the zombie apocalypse. I use it on my speed day because I hate speed work and the 30 minutes I'm doing it definitely doesn't feel like 30 minutes.

Yoga is great for running! As is stretching with a foam roller. And I do body weight resistance training to supplement my running as well. Helps prevent injury also gives you something to do on non run days.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Building a good aerobic endurance base is important and this is done by running slowly. if you find yourself going 'red in the face' and huffing and puffing, slow down. In fact, run so slowly that you would feel embarrassed to be seen running so slowly. Even elite pro runners regularly do lots and lots of slow runs. It's the foundation everything else is built upon.
  • danjacharlotte
    Options
    heya!

you can definitely do it by october! I started a month ago and can do 5km without stopping in 34 minutes now.
    It just takes consistency and doing just a little bit more every time.
    what i did was do a full 5km everytime i went running, but not running it entirely. warm up, do maybe 500m the first day, then walk a little, then run a little again until youve done 5km distance between walking and running.
    then the next time, maybe do 800m, walk a little, do 500m.. and so on until you reach 5km...
    you will see that every time you go for a run you can do just that little bit more, and eventually youll be doing 5km without stop!!

also, try running outside a least one or two days a week, since running outside without a moving floor is A LOT different than doing it on a treadmill. i used to do 40 min on a treadmill at a steady pace without stopping, and then when i went outside to run i couldnt even do 10 minutes! its a totally different exercise and way you use your body :)
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the 5k version, (half marathons are my current favorite distance), but I really like the zombies run app. It's fun getting involved in the storyline about the zombie apocalypse. I use it on my speed day because I hate speed work and the 30 minutes I'm doing it definitely doesn't feel like 30 minutes.

That sounds like the solution for me! Is it available for android?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

That sounds like the solution for me! Is it available for android?

It is! I have a droid too!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Is there a local running group in your area? I have found that running with others really motivates me, and I am more likely to run a little farther than I thought I could. Also, chatting with a friend helps the time pass more quickly (and makes it easy to tell if you are going too fast).
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Slow down, take rest days in between runs and I also suggest getting off the treadmill and running outside. Its WAY WAY different then a treadmill. You will find that outside it's MUCH harder then a treadmill. I was very discouraged the first time I ran outside. I was running over a mile on the treadmill but once I hit the open road, I could hardly make it .75 miles and I thought I was going to die.

Treadmills propel you forward so it's easier to run. Hit the open road and get use to running outside since I assume your race will be outdoors.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it sounds to me that you need to warm up better. i know that for a run, i need to warm up very extensively, or else i also feel like quitting in the first mile or two.

to warm up, do 50-100 jumping jacks, 10-20 body weight squats, 10-20 lunges, and as many push ups as you can do. do some dynamic stretching for your legs, like leg swings, to loosen and lubricate the joints.

also... go outside to run. train like you race.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with slowing down. And, set a small incline perhaps. If you can get outside, do it. It actually feels better to me, but the breathing is so different. (I also have a really crappy old hand-me-down treadmill.) Also, a big thing for me was realizing that it's ok to take walk breaks. You don't have to run the whole thing. I just did a 10K on Saturday, and I told myself I was going to schedule walk breaks, and I did. It is helpful. I don't wait until I feel like I'm going to die, I plan them. I run 10 minutes, walk a minute. Towards the end, I walked a bit more, but I finished running, and had, in my opinion, a pretty good time for someone who'd never run more than 4 miles! When I first started going too fast, and thinking I had to run the entire distance.

You can totally do this!

As for yoga, absolutely. It can help, and if you Google "yoga for runners" a few videos will pop up. Do some lower body strength training, but don't over do it. When I was training for my first 5K, I was still squatting heavy 3 days a week and deadlifting one. That was too much for me. I switched programs so I squat heavy once a week, and I deadlift lighter on that day. It is important to do some squats and maybe some lunges as well to help strengthen your legs. I would go super light or skip leg day for race weeks, though.

On the mental, having a planned walk break really helps. I just tell myself, "X more minutes, you can do this!" Having music that pumps you up helps a lot, too. I also enjoy watching shows on Netflix on my iPad when I'm running on my treadmill. "You can do it! Keep going, there's only 10 minutes left in the show!" ;)
  • jaredcollins77
    jaredcollins77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can also try other cardio exercises, maybe an elliptical at a gym or a bike. Just to keep it from being so boring running. Change it up a bit. You'll have to run more the closer you get to the race, to get your muscles used to it. But if you just want to get over a cardio hump, try something different to keep your heart rate up and get you through "the wall."