Where oh where are you motivation?!

Options
amandadawn0109
amandadawn0109 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
So I have been playing the whole weight loss game for a while now and I have had two major times in my life (once after my divorce and once last year) when I was very successful losing around 30 pounds....now I have hit a wall and cannot get myself motivated at all to get back to exercising/counting calories to be able to get back to that happy place again because I remember my acid reflux was down, I felt more energetic, I was generally a lot happier. I do have to say lately I have been feeling depressed and anxious a lot and very overwhelmingly stressed and I know that does not help the weight loss goals. I also feel like I need to say that I work full time and then go home to take care of three children (ages 5 and under) by myself during the week as well as two dogs....I guess I am looking for some motivation and support from others or tips/suggestions on how you got out of a funk to go on and be successful on your journey. Right now I am down 4 pounds so that is a success I just keep thinking about when I was at 30 pounds gone and seeing my Facebook a year ago posts when I was slimmer and felt better. Thanks for any tips/suggestions or general support!!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube and see if you can find some 10 min workouts. Figure out how you can squeeze in 1 or 2 per day. Not for the weight loss benefit but for the mental benefit. Exercise fights depression, anxiety and stress. You can gain a measure of control. Likewise find a bit of time everyday when you can just sit and clear your mind, just a couple of minutes. Again to feel a bit more in control.

Then quit thinking about motivation. It's unreliable. You know. Try to think in terms of determination. You obviously have a lot of that with a full time job and 3 kids.

Try to develop useful habits. Notice I said useful. It's not judgmental. Things you do are either helpful or unhelpful in pursuit of your goals. Try to put habits in place that will help you. They will carry you through tough times. Good luck.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Eating well is good for you and your family. Also get some play time in with the children. You will get some exercise and some great memories. What can be more motivating than three happy smiles. :):):)
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    yay on the 4 lbs already. I second the Youtube videos there are lots of fun ones. If you find a channel you like it can make all the difference in the world. I did a killer today but the presenter is super fun so I was motivated to keep going and swear at him. haha

It's tough when you have kids what about going to the park and while they play you power walk or run around. Just start small and create habits
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    So I have been playing the whole weight loss game for a while now and I have had two major times in my life (once after my divorce and once last year) when I was very successful losing around 30 pounds....now I have hit a wall and cannot get myself motivated at all to get back to exercising/counting calories to be able to get back to that happy place again because I remember my acid reflux was down, I felt more energetic, I was generally a lot happier. I do have to say lately I have been feeling depressed and anxious a lot and very overwhelmingly stressed and I know that does not help the weight loss goals. I also feel like I need to say that I work full time and then go home to take care of three children (ages 5 and under) by myself during the week as well as two dogs....I guess I am looking for some motivation and support from others or tips/suggestions on how you got out of a funk to go on and be successful on your journey. Right now I am down 4 pounds so that is a success I just keep thinking about when I was at 30 pounds gone and seeing my Facebook a year ago posts when I was slimmer and felt better. Thanks for any tips/suggestions or general support!!

The bold IS your "motivation". Actually, it's your reason. Relying on motivation is futile.

I agree with @88olds 100% that it is determination, discipline, and habits that are the key to long-term success. I also believe that it's @88olds that mentioned several times that this board should change the name from "motivation" to something else. Motivation is not a constant nor something we can rely upon long term. (however, forgive me if I'm quoting the wrong poster)