When it comes to losing weight, does it matter what you eat if you're within your calorie goal

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    types of foods ABSOLUTELY matter. when im doing completely raw i lose way more weight even if my calories are the same as when im eating wheat ad junk. the trick is no starches!!!

There could perhaps be some truth to completely raw. It seems that cooking food may perhaps change the way your body metabolizes it. Cooking food perhaps increases the amount of digestible calories. The three basic macros of counting calories seems obsolete. Not saying it doesn't work, but perhaps there is now a better way.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/can-cooking-high-fat-foods-increase-their-calories
    Animal studies don't crossover the same as actual results in humans.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KarlaLFeazell
    KarlaLFeazell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff I am new to the site. Reading different replies and I like the way you put things out there.
    I'm here like most need to get some pounds off.
    Would you mind sending some guidance?
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    iaaba50 wrote: »
    All calories are not the same.
    Saying all calories are not the same is like saying all kilometers are not kilometers. Or a gallon isn't a gallon. You can have a gallon of milk or a gallon of water. The MEASUREMENT is still a gallon.

Poor example actually. There are two gallons, Imperial and US. An imperial gallon is 4.54 litres, whereas a US gallon is 3.8 litres. This is why metric is a much better system. Not many countries outside the US use gallons any more.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    types of foods ABSOLUTELY matter. when im doing completely raw i lose way more weight even if my calories are the same as when im eating wheat ad junk. the trick is no starches!!!

There could perhaps be some truth to completely raw. It seems that cooking food may perhaps change the way your body metabolizes it. Cooking food perhaps increases the amount of digestible calories. The three basic macros of counting calories seems obsolete. Not saying it doesn't work, but perhaps there is now a better way.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/can-cooking-high-fat-foods-increase-their-calories
    Animal studies don't crossover the same as actual results in humans.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is true, but that's more strongly associated with studies investigating very narrow, specific things, like the effects of specific biochemical compounds. For example, a drug that works on cancer in mice always seems to turn out to be less effective in humans.

If we're testing something broader, like, for example "Does eating not very much while exercising a lot result in weight loss", the results using mice as test subjects will be meaningful, as it would be for "is breathing in carbon monoxide bad for you?" and "should you try inhaling water?" They're mammals, like humans, and the similarities in physiology are more significant than the differences, if you see what I mean.

In this case, I think the scenario of cooked food versus raw food is closer to a "is carbon monoxide bad for you" hypothesis than "does this cure cancer?"

Firstly:
    We've got some very clear reasoning why cooking could improve nutritional availability. This doesn't propose that anything magic goes on; it's all basically high school biology principles there- heat breaks down proteins, this makes it easier for the digestive system to break it down even further, so less of the food will pass straight through undigested, and so on.

At the risk of lowering the tone, anyone who has ever eaten sweetcorn (or changed a toddler who has been eating sweetcorn) already knows that the human stomach isn't 100% perfect, and it needs you to help it out beforehand. In this case, by chewing, which makes the inside of the kernel accessible. In the match between sweetcorn and the stomach, it's always a score of Unchewed Sweetcorn Kernel Casing 1- 0 Human Digestive Juices.

We also know that in those with Oral Allergy Syndrome, cooking the allergen generally (but not always) sorts it out, because the proteins that cause the reaction are broken down by the heat.

Secondly:

This is a different newspaper article on the same study, which mentions that there has been some investigation into this phenomenon in humans.
    The Harvard team believes that we have come to depend on cooked food, and this opinion is borne out by a study into the effects of a raw food diet. Even when processing some of their diet, through pounding or blending, strict raw foodists were underweight, and 50% of women under 45 had stopped ovulating. “They were so energy limited,” says Carmody, “that their bodies shut down reproduction and, from an evolutionary biologist’s perspective, this is really mindboggling.”

Link to study: http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=US201302916766
    From a brief once-over, I can see that there are the standard limitations to the study design (participants were self-selecting, because you're not going to find people who will eat raw food for 2+ years solely for the sake of scientific investigation; results were collated by questionnaire), but I think the results have use.

Anyway, you won't see me giving away my saucepan set any time soon.
  • shaun739
    shaun739 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you stay within your macros you can eat whatever th F ya want :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Saying all calories are not the same is like saying all kilometers are not kilometers. Or a gallon isn't a gallon. You can have a gallon of milk or a gallon of water. The MEASUREMENT is still a gallon.

Poor example actually. There are two gallons, Imperial and US. An imperial gallon is 4.54 litres, whereas a US gallon is 3.8 litres. This is why metric is a much better system. Not many countries outside the US use gallons any more.

That's two different units that happen to have the same name though.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

That's two different units that happen to have the same name though.

It's like saying a dollar is a dollar. As a Canadian, there are different gallons and dollars. So, a US gallon of anything is still a US gallon :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    "Junk food" is quite an arbitrary term. To someone eating paleo, bread might be "junk" (even whole wheat). To a vegan, meat/animal products might fall into the category of "junk food." While these are possibly extreme examples, they illustrate the point.

When I think of "junk food" (which is a term I usually avoid) I think of candy and chips and other things that have high calories and little other nutrient value. You could lose weight eating nothing but these foods and staying under your calorie goal, but you wouldn't feel very good after a while.

Other people think of fast food as "junk food." Or pizza. Or ... whatever. Can you lose weight eating nothing but fast food or pizza and staying in your calorie goal. You'll probably even get a decent macro distribution (especially if you pay attention to it). But with nothing but fast food, it might be harder to get all your micronutrients - depending on the availability of things like vegetables or fruits.

The best option, IMO, is to eat a varied diet of foods that you like. Again, staying under calories will lead to weight loss (that's the key!). Paying attention to your macro and micronutrients will help you feel good and keep your energy up. And variety (including some "junk food" treats, if you want) helps you adhere to the lower calories.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ugh... what do you think?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    NatJayneL wrote: »
    It depends how few calories we're talking about. Any adult would lose weight on 500 calories a day, wherever those calories came from. But what usually happens when people eat junk food and stay within their calorie goal is they stay overweight and become malnourished - a real problem here in the US.

Where do you suppose the energy needed to stay overweight would come from?