What kind of bread do you eat?

Options

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I love the Dave killer bread- - I have enjoyed the Ezekiel bread as well esp. the english muffins becuase they are really filling
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Whatever is cheapest
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have to have bread, I'll make myself a baguette
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I haven't had bread in a month! But eventually I imagine I will have to get some Ezekiel bread. Seems to be the way to go. Also have thought about making these "oopsie rolls", but I'm so lazy.... :smile:
  • Anaryne26
    Anaryne26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have access to Wegmans, so whatever looks good in their bakery when I stop in. I'm currently enjoying their Spinach Parmesan Fougasse. It's delicious when lightly toasted with a great turkey or ham from the deli, a thin slice of swiss cheese, and romaine from my garden. Add on some tomato slices and red onion if I'm eating turkey.

I LOVE carbs. Bread, pasta, pizza, etc. You name it, I love it. So I just eat less of it. And make sure I buy something I greatly enjoy when I do. It makes every single bite worth it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat bread, but when I do, I eat Sunbeam Giant white bread.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me cry :'(

For gluten-free bread (which I find generally awful) I just discovered Safeway carries B'Free white and whole grain breads, which are the best grocery store type breads I've tasted so far. They're in the little refrigerator in the bread section. They also have bagels and hot dog buns which I haven't tried but am planning to in the near future. Unfortunately these are just as hideously expensive as the general run of gf food so just an occasional treat for me.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I use Dave Killer bread, thin sliced has 60 cals a slice. I also am a huge fan of Ezekiel brown rice tortillas. I have tried the 40 calorie bread and thought it was horrible, not much to it at all.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Jewish rye seeded. If I'm going to eat bread, I want some taste to it. Great extra toasted with a small pat of butter.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    I eat any bread that is freshly baked and not packaged to live forever

^ this. Or a particular brand/type that I find very tasteful, which tends to be expensive, never on sale.

I'm going away from the concept of buying on sale/discount breads. I could tell a difference in quality. Sellers are smart!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I usually just buy cheap 2$ loaves of honey wheat. I work at a sandwich shop though so I don't eat much bread at home but it never seems to be around when I need it, and when I do have it it goes to waste. Thinking of trying ezekiel bread since it's frozen and I can take it as I need.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sara Led lite. 45 calories per slice
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I eat Ezekiel no sodium. Leave it in the fridge and take out a couple slices and lightly toast them to remove the cold. I make vegetarian blt's with them. Anything you can add to bread I've eaten on it. It does have a slightly nutty flavor to it. I've been eating it for a few years now. Every once and a while I feel like I need to try Healthy Life and realize how bad and small it is and go back to Ezekiel.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Flat Out foldits in flax are my favorite and super easy for sandwiches. I loveEkiekial English muffins for breakfast when there's time. Daves Killer also makes fantastic bagels.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Seems like an odd question to me. I eat the type of bread that goes with the meal I'm eating. Whole wheat for grilled cheese or lunch sandwiches, crusty Italian with pasta, fluffy white buns with burgers or brats, flatbread for souvlaki, corn tortillas with tacos, dinner rolls with big family meals, etc. I don't go in for "weight loss" breads I suppose.

What @Jruzer said.

I eat the type of bread I feel like, in the amounts I have calories for.

But it appears to be a mortal sin to suggest to someone who "tends to overindulge" to eat the things they love in moderation.

• Holly1111555
    Holly1111555 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We've been eating Sarah Lee Delightful bread. It's 45 calories a piece! It's been a staple in our household for over a year at least.
  • Loveslupins
    Loveslupins Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every single day with natural peanut butter.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Seems like an odd question to me. I eat the type of bread that goes with the meal I'm eating. Whole wheat for grilled cheese or lunch sandwiches, crusty Italian with pasta, fluffy white buns with burgers or brats, flatbread for souvlaki, corn tortillas with tacos, dinner rolls with big family meals, etc. I don't go in for "weight loss" breads I suppose.

What @Jruzer said.

I eat the type of bread I feel like, in the amounts I have calories for.

But it appears to be a mortal sin to suggest to someone who "tends to overindulge" to eat the things they love in moderation.

In general (don't know enough about the OP), it's not helpful to suggest to an abstainer that they should moderate. Moderation works for some, but not all.

http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

...When dealing with temptation, I often see the advice, “Be moderate. Don’t have ice cream every night, but if you try to deny yourself altogether, you’ll fall off the wagon. Allow yourself to have the occasional treat, it will help you stick to your plan.”

I’ve come to believe that this is good advice for some people: the “moderators.” They do better when they avoid absolutes and strict rules.

For a long time, I kept trying this strategy of moderation–and failing. Then I read a line from Samuel Johnson, who said, when someone offered him wine: “Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult.”
    Ah ha! Like Dr. Johnson, I’m an “abstainer.”

I find it far easier to give something up altogether than to indulge moderately. When I admitted to myself that I was eating my favorite frozen yogurt treat very often–two and even three times a day–I gave it up cold turkey. That was far easier for me to do than to eat it twice a week. If I try to be moderate, I exhaust myself debating, “Today, tomorrow?” “Does this time ‘count’?” “Don’t I deserve this?” etc. If I never do something, it requires no self-control for me; if I do something sometimes, it requires enormous self-control.

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Anybody try Ezikiel or Silver Hills bread? I am thinking about trying these types of bread. I like white and rye bread but when I have those around I tend to overindulge.

Not only do I overindulge in good bread made from flour, but it makes me sleepy.

With bread made from sprouted grains like Ezekial (or Alvarado St. Bakery) this is not the case. Since I don't eat a lot of this bread, it's ok that it costs more than a regular loaf.

I keep in it the freezer and defrost as necessary.

I was getting Alvarado St. Bakery for $3.99 a loaf before I moved but have been unable to find either brand at that price now. I'll keep my eye out for Silver Hills, which I see is carried at Whole Foods and Target.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Bread is boring. I save my calories for pasta.