Cardio before lifting?

Options
xtxtxtx
xtxtxtx Posts: 83 Member
Whenever I Google 'should I do cardio before or after lifting,' nearly every source says to do it after. I always do it before--nothing major, just walking on the treadmill for 20-60 minutes. I don't need to lose weight, I'm a newbie (2.5 months in) and just doing recomp at least right now...I'm 5'1 and 109 lbs. I'm just doing cardio for fun and health, but I still like to do it. It really chills me out to just put on my headphones and walk on the treadmill for a while. Even though all the sources say to do it after lifting, I'm hesitant, because wouldn't that cut into your muscle recovery? Like, your recovery starts the second you put down the weights. And to go on the treadmill right after...that wouldn't hurt my recovery?? I'm confused.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I do it before because otherwise I seem to be unable to do it at all.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Recovery happens the NEXT day. There is so much woo with the fitness industry on this. The only issue with people doing cardio before lifting is ENERGY LEVEL. If it's affected by it, then the lifting session won't be as intense. But if intense lifting isn't the goal, then it's FINE to do cardio first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This^^^ so much... recovery doesn't really start until you get a nights sleep...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It will depend on your goals and how you feel. If your goal is to increase your running time for example, it would make sense to make running your priority. If your goal is to build/maintain muscle then I wouldn't overdo the cardio after. But a light walk on the treadmill sounds like pretty good cooldown and most likely won't impact your recovery. Try it out.. if you feel drained or you aren't progressing in your lifts, move your cardio to another day.

I personally cannot think of doing any cardio after weight lifting as my legs are shot, haha. Some people do a small warmup before, some people can do it after no problem. Some people do it on alternate days, or not at all. See what works for you
  • raetzpl
    raetzpl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    typically if you're lifting heavy weights it is recommended to do before cardio so your muscles are not fatigued and can handle the weights better. If you're not really going heavy in your weights, then it's not such a big deal. The lifting part also acts as a good warm up for your muscles for cardio.
  • xtxtxtx
    Options
    Recovery happens the NEXT day. There is so much woo with the fitness industry on this. The only issue with people doing cardio before lifting is ENERGY LEVEL. If it's affected by it, then the lifting session won't be as intense. But if intense lifting isn't the goal, then it's FINE to do cardio first.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh, I never knew it took that long to start recovery! I feel like it does slightly affect my lifting in a way. Like, I can still do everything I planned to do and add weight every week, it just makes me more tired while doing it, which is annoying.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If all you are doing is walking, you are fine. I greatly prefer lifting first then some easy cardio, as it's far easier to run or do whatever when already a little tired, because it's low intensity. Where as if I did hard cardio then tried I could not imagine a productive strength session.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think it boils down to what you find more important. It I'm exerting all my energy lifting but I want to run a fast 5k after, its not going to happen if I lift first.

I personally do my cardio first because at the moment, my running is more important. On days that I focus primarily on lifting, I might ditch the cardio all together to preserve energy for the lifts and warm up by doing lower weights for the first set or two. So it's what you find works the best. But as far as the "science" goes, a lot of it is just bro science.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't do any cardio. I just make sure I stretch before my lifts. However, back when I tried to make the cardio thing work I would do so before my lifts because I knew I wouldn't do it afterwards.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think the usual main concern on doing cardio before is that you'll fatigue the leg muscles and won't be able to squat (or other leg work) as much. Probably not much of an issue with just walking; too much running would potentially fatigue the quads a bit. I don't have the greatest ankle mobility, so squats would be that much harder without a warmup and stretching, so I prefer to get a few minutes of running in beforehand.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I don't do any cardio. I just make sure I stretch before my lifts. However, back when I tried to make the cardio thing work I would do so before my lifts because I knew I wouldn't do it afterwards.
    As long as it ain't static stretching. That would actually reduce your strength.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Other than a light warm up and cool down walk, I don't do cardio and strength on the same day. I alternate and the cardio is active recovery on the alternate days. On strength days I focus my mind, body and energy on getting the most out of strength training. YMMV
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have done elliptical machine both before and after heavy workouts. I'm talking everything from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. I lift far better when I do the cardio second. The cardio usually ends up being the same and certainly within 5% of the "calories burned" (according to the machine) it would have been. You can do it either way I think. But in my experience and for me I have seen better lifting gains and performance improvements over time by doing cardio second. Just my 2 cents.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I always do it before because it wakes me up and I have more energy to devote to the weights.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I've tried it both ways.

If I do cardio before, I am very well warmed up for lifting. As long as I keep it to around 30 minutes, it doesn't seem to impact my ability to lift. I am working on rebuilding speed and endurance for running, so I can't say it's an "easy" cardio. On the other hand, yesterday I went for 5k (about 40 minutes) and didn't have the oomph for much lifting, even arms, but I was really pushing on the cardio.

If I do cardio after, then I don't have a lot of energy for the cardio. I really don't know if that means that I'm actually working the lifts harder than if I had done cardio.

I do agree that it depends on goals. I realized my cardio endurance/health wasn't where I felt it should be if I wasn't doing cardio except as a short warmup, so it became a goal again for me to have that extra cardio. But I also want to do good lifting, for so many reasons.
  • xtxtxtx
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, I'm feeling like sticking to a ~20 minute light cardio before lifts should be good
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This right here is a great answer. I want that intense lift workout so I do cardio, when I have any gas in tank left, after weights. I don't think it maters if you have energy for your program.

My problem is since I have started moving some heavier weights I have none of that gas left. I am completely drenched and have a *kitten* of a time just walking to car. I sit there for a good 15 minutes at least drinking a water and going over log before I have the willpower to drive home. So cardio is not happening on lift days. I now try to swim or walk on rest days but at a fairly low intensity.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I do 20 minutes of cardio before any strength but no reasoning, just feels right to me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Exactly this. What are your specific goals? that's what you want to put the majority of your energy into.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I feel like my legs need a little"cool down" after heavy lifting, so walking afterwards is great for that. I also have no trouble doing some walking before to warm up. Anything more strenuous than walking, and I need a bit of a break in between.