Any interval run training apps?

Options
I'm looking for an app that works like c25K and c210k, but for interval running. Does it exist?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Please define what you mean by interval running. Are you talking about speed work like fartleks?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I can program my Garmin so it does time intervals. It's intended for run/walk, but I've done it for speed intervals. i.e. 4 minutes/2 minutes recovery or 2/2. The only thing it doesn't do is the 2 mile warmup, but I either do that separately or just ignore the beep of my watch. (You can pre-program the more expensive watches for more complicated workouts, but my FR15 is very basic.) You could also set your laps to .25 instead of 1 mile, then listen for the beep.

If you are using a TM it is easy to do intervals by just watching the time.

Or as dewd2 suggested, on the street you can do a fartlek run where you run hard to a mailbox or tree or corner, then run easy until you recover, then pick another object and run hard until you reach it, then recover. Or do strides where you accelerate for 50 steps then slow down, run until you recover, then do it again.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I want to learn to run a little faster. I'm on my last day of C210K. Now that I've learned how to distance run (don't laugh! 6 miles is distance to this running newb) I want to learn to pick up my pace.

What do you think of this idea? What if I use the C25K app, and instead of walk/run, I slow run/fast run? I don't have a fancy fitness watch, so I have to use what I have.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I want to learn to run a little faster. I'm on my last day of C210K. Now that I've learned how to distance run (don't laugh! 6 miles is distance to this running newb) I want to learn to pick up my pace.

What do you think of this idea? What if I use the C25K app, and instead of walk/run, I slow run/fast run? I don't have a fancy fitness watch, so I have to use what I have.

That sounds like a good idea. Simple, easy, and you've already got what you need to begin. I will say, I personally find interval training easier and more effective on a treadmill - just IMO. Good luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

Often times especially for newer runners, just increasing volume (running more often) helps far more than intervals and speed work.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

I think it is a bad idea at this point. Run steady for 6 more months then add some speed work in. The most speed type run that I would suggest is maybe a tempo run once a week or less (tempo run is a run that is harder, but not so hard that you can't breath).

FWIW - You need a plan more than an app at to do speed training. You also need to decide what your end goal is. Training to go faster in the mile or 5k is different from training to go faster in a 10k or longer race.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you want to run 10k faster, increase your distance past 6 miles.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

I do this. C25K with jog/run instead of walk/jog. I also sprinkle in some plain-Jane runs and cross-train with rowing. But I've been running for 20 years. I think it's ok to do. Just take it easy and recover generously.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You go!! I'm not a runner naturally so I also consider 6 miles distance running. First time I finished a 10k I thought I would die but I was so proud of myself I was laying on the floor beaming. As far as interval training to help you get faster I use Zombies run! It has a story but you don't have to use it they have set interval training programs that help you train for farther and faster runs and have a "Chase mode" that forces you to add bursts of speed to your runs periodically which really helps. :) keep running!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Gym boss has an interval timer app, you can set intervals to whatever you want with however many repeats.
  • lmroessler
    lmroessler Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I agree with the treadmill comment - much easier to know how fast you are (or aren't in my case) going on one of them. I've also had people tell me they go to a local school and use their track to run fast on the "long" sides and recover on the shorter sides, or run one fast lap and recover the next. But I also agree that running longer distances will make your short runs faster - had my best 5K time while training for a half. Best of luck, and whatever you do, just keep moving!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    One thing, don't do all of your runs as interval runs. Most of your runs should be at an easy conversational pace. Trying to push hard on every run is likely to get you injured. Current thinking seems to be that 80% of your miles should be easy. At most do hard day - easy day - hard - easy. And as stated above, more miles will help your speed more than anything. As you go from 15 mpw to 20 to 30 to 40 your pace will go down.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The MapMyRun app has a "Run a 10K faster" training program. I used it and I increased my 5k time from 34 minutes to 27 minutes.

For what it is worth, here are some things I learned by trying to run fast and far.

1) Don't do speed work more than once a week. Shin splints suck. Most of your miles should be slow and easy.

2) Don't try and work on distance and speed at the same time. Injuries = no running. Work on getting faster or running longer - not both.

3) Trying to increase your speed in the heat of the summer sucks! Usually increased temps means a slower pace. Maybe think about increasing your weekly mileage in the summer and increasing your pace in the winter? That is what I have been doing.

4) Treadmills are boring. Having fun and pretty places to run is more motivating. Treadmills also hurt my knees more than running on the road.

5) Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% a week. Once again - injuries suck.

6) Doing cross training helps. Strength training and yoga have helped my running tremendously. http://www.active.com/running/articles/10-running-specific-strength-training-exercises