Please stop calling it a "cheat meal!"

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    You want to know why I'm concerned? Here's why: Anyone who's been on this forum for any length of time has read any number of posts by incredibly vulnerable people. People who are at the mercy of the diet industry, people who are at the mercy of the food industry, people who don't have the "will power" that others do, and feel victimized by food. Food is our friend not our enemy. And I worry about the vulnerable people who fuss so much over their "cheat days." These forums are a village where we come for support. And there are people in this village who could definitely use the support of not calling these "cheat days" and feeling the guilt that comes with that designation. Loving ourselves and each other up is my point.

these same people have a problem with being 'on a diet' which some people use to describe calorie restriction, myself included. If you feel guilty about a cheat day, your problem is not with the language, your problem is your relationship with food and calling it anything else is not going to help. they should seek therapy.

I both agree and disagree. The problem is with the relationship with food and the language is the symptom. That is what I have a problem with the negativity and guilt in the "cheat" terminology. If you can't take a day off calorie restriction without guilt and having to negatively label it something, that may well indicate an issue.

To use your earlier example, if it is your bank account, who are you cheating?

• mmapags
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    it is a dumb concept because food is not bad, good, evil, cheats, satan, etc..it is just food. Eat what you like within your calories and make sure you meet micros and macros...

stop applying moral terms to food...

+1
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I call it "eating".
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    If you've committed yourself to a diet plan in order to lose weight and you decide to throw it aside for one meal/one day/whatever, then you have cheated on the diet plan, it's really that simple.

Who are you to decide the parameters of someone else's commitment? I decide what my rules are, and they don't preclude eating more for a particular meal or day or whatever. I don't call it cheating when I do it, because I don't have a rule against it.
  • mmapags
    Options
    If you've committed yourself to a diet plan in order to lose weight and you decide to throw it aside for one meal/one day/whatever, then you have cheated on the diet plan, it's really that simple.

Who are you to decide the parameters of someone else's commitment? I decide what my rules are, and they don't preclude eating more for a particular meal or day or whatever. I don't call it cheating when I do it, because I don't have a rule against it.

Agreed. BS. It's not about 1day. It's about a week, a month, a continuum of time and life habits.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I call it a cheat meal...
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I call it a cheat meal and my relationship with food is fine, and i have made progress with my weight that im proud of.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    It's def a cheat day! Cheat cheat cheat!

Exactly
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I would call last Sunday a cheat day, I cheated on my diet. I went to an all you can buffet and ate over 3,000 calories! Calling it a cheat day doesn't trigger any psychological issues for me, so that's what i call it.

Refeed day
    IDGAF day
    Not counting calories today day
    Maintenance day
    Cheat day

They all mean the same thing to me, no matter what term you attach to it.

The 4th Sunday in June is my family reunion, cemetery association, outdoor potluck picnic in a graveyard celebrate my crazy family day. It just isn't done that one eschews any of the things.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i stumble on a what you would call a cheat meal by accident. I realize i ate more than i planned.. so i say heck with it, i overate a little, looks like i enjoyed more food today than i planned. And i dont worry about it, i just go on the next day trying again.
  • natashab61
    natashab61 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Call it what you want. Why is this an issue? Live and let live. You can't control others. :) cheat day or not it's just people trying to eat what is pleasurable. Let's stick to those positives :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if the people who take issue with the word 'cheat day' have had long histories with dieting/weight loss/ yo-yoing/food guilt etc etc

Like i said in my previous post, using this term doesnt affect me psychologically or cause me to spiral down in despair with guilt ridden angst. If it did do any of those things, then i would totally reassess my relationship with food.
    Even my 22 year old body building son has a 'cheat day', these day's are the highlight of his week, something he really looks forward to.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    Options
    natashab61 wrote: »
    Call it what you want. Why is this an issue? Live and let live. You can't control others. :) cheat day or not it's just people trying to eat what is pleasurable. Let's stick to those positives :)

I agree
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Call a spade a spade, why hide from what you're doing? Do you want someone to congratulate you for failing to stick to your resolve?
    Then next time you're about to cheat, ask yourself do you really want to stay fat?

It's a meal, not a marriage! It's a doughnut, not a divorce!

All you need is a reasonable calorie deficit and you can have days that you go over as long your balance over time keeps you under your maintenance!

I don't normally call that perfectly reasonable pizza I had last night a "cheat meal" but if that's what I call it who cares?
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I haven't decided the parameters of anything - commitment is a word with a definition that you can look up if you're not sure of the meaning.
    I said "IF you've committed..."
    If you haven't committed to it, then you can't expect much.
    Do half a job, expect half a result.
    Suck it up or stay fat.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I'm wondering if the people who take issue with the word 'cheat day' have had long histories with dieting/weight loss/ yo-yoing/food guilt etc etc
    Can't speak for others but not true for me. Never been more than 25 or 30 over my ideal weight and have been within 15 or 20 lbs of it for most of the last 30 years (I'm 66). As is evidenced by the number of posters that don't like the term, it is an off putting term to some. I wouldn't go making a lot of broad speculations as to why.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    kavahni wrote: »
    You want to know why I'm concerned? Here's why: Anyone who's been on this forum for any length of time has read any number of posts by incredibly vulnerable people. People who are at the mercy of the diet industry, people who are at the mercy of the food industry, people who don't have the "will power" that others do, and feel victimized by food. Food is our friend not our enemy. And I worry about the vulnerable people who fuss so much over their "cheat days." These forums are a village where we come for support. And there are people in this village who could definitely use the support of not calling these "cheat days" and feeling the guilt that comes with that designation. Loving ourselves and each other up is my point.

these same people have a problem with being 'on a diet' which some people use to describe calorie restriction, myself included. If you feel guilty about a cheat day, your problem is not with the language, your problem is your relationship with food and calling it anything else is not going to help. they should seek therapy.

I both agree and disagree. The problem is with the relationship with food and the language is the symptom. That is what I have a problem with the negativity and guilt in the "cheat" terminology. If you can't take a day off calorie restriction without guilt and having to negatively label it something, that may well indicate an issue.

To use your earlier example, if it is your bank account, who are you cheating?

If it's a bank account you're still not cheating regardless of what you call it. You're purchasing on credit and whether you pay now or pay later eventually you'll have to repay what you overspent.
  • Akmauser
    Akmauser Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Guess it is not a cheat or treat meal if one knows they're going to eat something over their normal calories and prepare ahead of time. I usually know for the next week where my food is coming from and rarely surprised; if there is going to be a calorie heavy day I usually reduce my previous 2-3 days by 50-100 calories each to make room for that heavy calorie day. Also, I insure the food being ingested does not exceed what maintenance would be for my current weight, and even then it is easy to stay under that goal.