Question about pee :)

Options
Hey guys!

I'm 34 and have yo yo'd all my adult life. I'm back logging and on week 3 now (Lost 7lbs) and diet is good. I've drunk only water in these past 2 weeks and milk with cereal. My pee is not really getting any lighter though? Anything I need to worry about?

I should add that I lost a kidney to cancer 3 years ago so only have the one now if that affects anything?

I appreciate any advice forthcoming and feel free to add a London boy with a big motivation for a healthy lifestyle!

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? How dark is it? Do you have regular follow up with nephrology or oncology?

Probably a better question for your doctor, honestly.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    A litre a day? On a scale of 1-10 maybe a 6/7? I will bring it up with my surgeon in our follow up chat in September too.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    The color varies individually, but it will tend to get lighter as you drink more water. If the cereal you're eating is heavily fortified with B vitamins, or if you're taking a vitamin supplement with lots of B vitamins in it, that will tend to make it more yellow regardless of how much water you drink.

But do I understand you correctly that all you're eating is milk with cereal? Because that's not a healthy lifestyle at all.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    The color varies individually, but it will tend to get lighter as you drink more water. If the cereal you're eating is heavily fortified with B vitamins, or if you're taking a vitamin supplement with lots of B vitamins in it, that will tend to make it more yellow regardless of how much water you drink.

But do I understand you correctly that all you're eating is milk with cereal? Because that's not a healthy lifestyle at all.

I think OP means liquids he's had, not food.

I second talking with a doctor. Although everyone is individualized, it might be worth running it by them to be sure.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    No I mean the only liquid I'm drinking is milk other than water so no alcohol etc although I have had one treat in the form of a can of coke in the past fortnight.

My pee is normally darker than it should be but I thought it'd be getting lighter. Maybe it's my body flushing away all the crap I've consumed over the past 3 years or so?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    1litre of water distributed around 3-4 intakes per day, presumably with food, will make your urine a somewhat darker shade of yellow. If you want a lighter shade of yellow, even approaching clear, drink 2-3 times as much as you presently do. Perhaps someone will come along and post the pee chart, in which most of the descriptions are "you're well hydrated".
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    My pee is normally darker than it should be but I thought it'd be getting lighter. Maybe it's my body flushing away all the crap I've consumed over the past 3 years or so?

If that were the case, you'd have needed dialysis long ago.
  • tropiz9
    tropiz9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I drank water about over 3litres a day and my pee become almost like water then I know it would be enough.

I'm trip to loo almost all day
  • Marjayhan
    Marjayhan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do you take multivitamins or a B supplement cos this makes my pee very yellow.
  • natashab61
    natashab61 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I'm 34 and have yo yo'd all my adult life. I'm back logging and on week 3 now (Lost 7lbs) and diet is good. I've drunk only water in these past 2 weeks and milk with cereal. My pee is not really getting any lighter though? Anything I need to worry about?

I should add that I lost a kidney to cancer 3 years ago so only have the one now if that affects anything?

I appreciate any advice forthcoming and feel free to add a London boy with a big motivation for a healthy lifestyle!

OP you are an attractive man. Congrats on the weight-loss. And I second speaking to the surgeon. But if you are worried about it now speak to your GP. :) good luck!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Speak to the surgeon for sure but I also want to add, don't be afraid of other liquids. Diet soda, coffee, tea etc are all perfectly fine and will help get your liquid count up. If you're struggling with water then just add some low calorie drinks back in and see what happens. If you exercise you are likely not drinking enough.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have one kidney as well. If I only drink a liter my urine is darker. I need to drink 2+ liters in order for my urine to be lighter. I would double your intake of water and see if that changes the color. If not, then definitely speak with a doctor.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You could try adding that low cal Gatorade...I think it's G2(?) to your water for the electrolytes just in case. Or the clear Pedialyte meant for kids.

But if you're taking a basic Multi like Centrum... that's sure to bring on very yellow/gold pee.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Maybe call doc long before September?