Counting calories help!

Options
Hey everyone!

So I was wondering, has anyone on here actually lost weight from just counting calories and exercising? What I mean by that is that you ate whatever you wanted as long as you stayed under your caloric intake goal. I need some hope for the summer, I don't want to be too strict this summer in terms of clean eating because I want to leave that "I'll just eat all of this today and start tomorrow" mindset. Thank you!

Replies

• Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I still have three cubes of dark chocolate each evening as a treat as I know that if I don't allow it and work it into my calories for the day then I'll binge big time.
  • Kollane
    Kollane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat anything that fits my goals. Just other day I had double-filling croissant as lunch and giant marshmallows and raisins in chocolate as snack. Dinner was light (salad with egg and salmon), so I came in with 1679 calories in and 1876 out. Hell, I have days where most of my food consists of pancakes and raspberry jam or cookies and protein chocolate bars.

It helps that I'm tall though, 5'8''. I have more overall calories to spend. Nearly 29lbs gone, 9 to go. I'm at 148.5 right now. As for training, I do walking, hiking, bodcombat, circuit training classes and sometimes bodypump.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 30lbs in 6 months, I have mostly eaten home cooked meals made with foods I enjoy (lean meat, veggies, etc), but have also eaten out at the pub/had takeaway/gone to McDonalds from time to time and I eat chocolate most days, I am fitter and healthier now than I've ever been, even when I was lower weight.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Yup, you can do that. But, don't forget counting calories is much more important for losing weight than exercising, so log absolutely everything. (at least for me).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Yup! 65.2 lbs lost in 8 months, eating mostly healthy foods overall, but making room for weekly indulgences. You may have my 2 pieces of potato kugel and frosted shortbread cookie when you pry them from my cold, dead, fingers.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone here has. Me including. 30lbs so far.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds and have been maintaining for almost two years now just through making sure that my calories consumed match my goal. I eat what I want, which includes beans and vegetables, but also wine, french fries, chocolate, and pizza.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds ten years ago by counting calories on this site. I still log my food and weigh myself and I've kept the weight off. I eat pretty much anything I want as long as I get my protein and fat in every day. Yesterday I had soft serve ice cream AND potato chips.

I don't have a planned exercise routine, but just fun things that are active that I like to do on a regular basis. I don't like exercise classes or DVDs or gyms, so I came up with several enjoyable activities to stay active.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes. I have ice cream, chocolate, or candy every day. I make sure to hit my protein and calorie goal each day, but leave 200-300 calories for treats.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Chiming in here with my success doing this as well. And "clean eating" is a meaningless phrase.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm 60 lbs down, with 20 to go. For weight loss, I focus on calories in and out. For fitness (and to gain a few extra calories), I exercise. For performance, satiety, and general health, I look to nutrition (macros, veg and fruit intake, fat ratio, fiber, etc.).

It helps me stay on track with my weight loss to know that I can absolutely have chocolate or fries or whatever, as long as it fits my weekly calorie numbers. I'm not "cheating" or going off my plan. I plan ahead for it, and it's a regular part of my preferred style of eating.
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost 90lbs in 4 months by creating a huge caloric deficit and exercising vigorously.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I had previously lost weight by going low carb, and then I'd regain it all back immediately after going off diet.

I have now lost 45 lbs eating everything with a small calorie deficit, and I have been now successfully maintaining for the last 3-4 months by continuing to monitor my instead.

I am a real foodie, I enjoy cooking and eating. I am not depriving myself of any delicious food. I worked hard on learning appropriate portion sizes.

That's really all there is to it. I can't believe I waited till I was 40 to figure it out.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm down 28# in 18 weeks, and there's been plenty of cake and wine and the occasional fast food meal or dinner out. I also do about 3 hours of vigorous cardio a week (because I love it).

So, yes. I've lost weight just with counting calories and exercise.

If you struggle with "I'll just eat all of this today and start tomorrow" mindsets, try looking at your kcal goals as a weekly amount to hit, not a daily one. If you take that approach, it may help put indulgences in perspective and there's really no "I'll just start tomorrow" if tomorrow is still part of your overall goals.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by creating a calorie deficit (30 pounds in four months). I don't worry about clean eating. I worry about calories, protein, and fiber in that order.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    35 pounds down since April doing it that way
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Lost 9 lbs since June 5th doing that. But you have to maje sure you are being relatively accurate. I stayed exactly at previous weight for 2 months because I was measuring wrong.