July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Way to run like the wind @PastorVincent and @midwesterner85 - a fast pair you two make!

Got up at 3am because I was slated to put in 40 today- then had to cut short at 35 when I realized I promised to make my husband eggs benedict for breakfast and I should've gotten up earlier. Gah! I'mma probably be lazy and tack the 5 onto tomorrow instead of going out again after bedtime. At least the man got his bennies once I flew in the door? Haha :D

July 2- 5
    July 3- Off
    July 4- 11.7
    July 5- Off
    July 6- 12.1
    July 7- 7.6
    July 8- 21
    July 9- 20.5
    July 10- Off
    July 11- 18
    July 12 -19
    July 13- 15
    July 14- 20
    July 15- 30
    July 16- 17
    July 17- Off
    July 18- 13
    July 19- 14.1
    July 20- 16.5
    July 21- 20
    July 22- 25
    July 23- 32
    July 24- Off
    July 25- 16
    July 26- 25
    July 27- 16
    July 28- 15
    July 29- 35

434.2/360

@JessicaMcB Wait, you ran 35 MILES and then cooked your husband breakfast?!? After my last 13.5 mile run, I was demanding my husband bring me pancakes in bed and then sit and listen to me whine about my aches and pains. FYI - You have officially won THE Wonder Woman bad *kitten* runner award.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Way to run like the wind @PastorVincent and @midwesterner85 - a fast pair you two make!

Got up at 3am because I was slated to put in 40 today- then had to cut short at 35 when I realized I promised to make my husband eggs benedict for breakfast and I should've gotten up earlier. Gah! I'mma probably be lazy and tack the 5 onto tomorrow instead of going out again after bedtime. At least the man got his bennies once I flew in the door? Haha :D

July 28- 15
    July 29- 35

434.2/360

@JessicaMcB Wait, you ran 35 MILES and then cooked your husband breakfast?!? After my last 13.5 mile run, I was demanding my husband bring me pancakes in bed and then sit and listen to me whine about my aches and pains. FYI - You have officially won THE Wonder Woman bad *kitten* runner award.

Ya same here.. I try to talk to him and he's ADD trying to get away but knows he should stay and listen. I got no compassion or empathy...

I'm think maybe 35 kilometers? Still that's a hell of run. Where do you get your energy woman!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

July 28- 15
    July 29- 35

434.2/360

Ya same here.. I try to talk to him and he's ADD trying to get away but knows he should stay and listen. I got no compassion or empathy...

I'm think maybe 35 kilometers? Still that's a hell of run. Where do you get your energy woman!
    Well I was pretty proud of my 8.5 hot miles today until I saw @JessicaMcB running 35 which was planned to be 40! And then you cooked breakfast? Holy Crap!! I agree with @amymoreorless you are the official Wonder Woman bad *kitten*! I am also pretty impressed that you got up at 3am to run... I am finding it difficult to get out of bed at 6am to run. What time do you go to bed?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Oh yea, bet you are right. 35k is 21 miles or there abouts, still a heck of a run! :smiley:
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm dying over here at how much I take for granted my Canadian ways making sense to others. 35km because metric system for the win (and I defs would have missed making breakfast if I went out for 35 miles, the natives were restless already when I was making the hollandaise!)

Not to get all Life Time (lol) but my runner struggle is honestly balancing training time with having a young family. Could my legs take me through 35 miles of Wilmore? I don't even doubt it. But what will it cost in time with the three under four crew and my husband ykwim? Makes it hard so I leave early as possible to run as long as I can without feeling like I'm compromising their time with me. We'll see how it all shakes out against my 50 miler in October!

@shanabear thanks to my OCD medication I can't go to bed until around midnight-1am...I don't need much sleep to survive apparently? Childless me would be dead by now however :D

ETA: I did the conversion on my mileage to the imperial and my month stands at just under 270 miles which should sound much more normal to people now I think?
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    1---6.38
    2---4.25
    4---5.11
    8---3.37
    12---2.90
    14---3.58
    15---3.31
    16---6.23
    17---bike
    19---3.58
    20---3.41 walk
    21---3.12 early
    21---3.1
    22---7.73
    23---6.34
    25---2.60 walk
    26---3.52
    29---6.31warning- honest, and TMI. Butt prolly funny DH didn't go run with me today. Which I do enjoy. I get irritated, anxious, and distracted when we run together. I planned on making 10 miles. First mile out I notice my left foot kept kicking my right. Weakness from surgery. It'll learn here in a bit... About 1.5 miles in I was lost in thought stepped in a wash out and was unable to recover before I met the gravel trail on down slope. "DAM!" My pace! Up, assess injury. Rinse off with MaUD water. Ohh adrenaline! I'll make it up. Run run run. I got this.

Tummy feelin' wierd. Jalapeno Fritos last night and coffee this AM instead of real food and tea might not have been the best idea. Eh? I'll be fine. Run run run. Run past, through crowds like a beast, leap a branch between people and the edge of the trail. Ahh, I sense the awe amoungst the chatter! I'ma show off. Spry. Claculated. Controlled. Steady. Fantastic pace. Whoop! Run run run. Uh oh... *kitten*. Mile back is the bathroom. Two miles ahead is the car and bathroom. "I can make it" run run ooh! Aw man :fearful: .... It'll be fine... Run aww no! Bush? People. Ok. Well. It's already.... "A problem". :tired_face: Keep running. Run.

I had drank 1.5L of water. Once I got to the bathroom, It passed. All of it. With some blood. "Oh TOM finally". Nope. Not Tom. Runners colitis? Ugh. Then the tornado alarms went off. "Well. This is how I go. Stuck on the toilet in the throes of an episode of dumping syndrome with dirty drawers".

TL:Dr So glad I didn't clean out all the extra clothes, a towel, wipes, running bags, or soap that I thought needed done before I headed out.

Set a 4 minute PR for a 10K. Shaved 4 seconds off my 1mile. 1K PR too- don't know by how much though. Regret not being able to make my 10. Guess there's tomorrow :smiley: And IBS medicine. :wink:

73.84/70

Upcoming races:

Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's 1 mile 10:01  5k 34.27 10k 1:15.59

Oh no! Glad you were well prepared for the aftermath though! Hand to God this is why I race on minimum 3 usually 4 Immodium gel caps- runners gastric distress is real af!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB yes. Too Real Today. I gave up coffee and it's been better. I figured today is have some so I wouldn't have to go during my run. No gallbladder, coffee was a bad choice.

ETA I'm good with metric :wink: definitely a better system. Super distance this month!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    July goal: 55 miles

7/2: 4.3 miles
    7/3: 3.7 miles
    7/4: 3.8 miles
    7/5: 2.3 miles
    7/9: 4.5 miles
    7/11: 2.5 miles
    7/12: 2.8 miles
    7/13: 3.1 miles
    7/16: 4.2 miles
    7/17: 3.1 miles
    7/18: 2.5 miles
    7/20: 3.2 miles
    7/23: 5.1 miles
    7/25: 3.1 miles
    7/26: 2.5 miles
    7/27: 2 miles
    7/29: 3.1 miles (Step Out to Stop Diabetes 5k)

55.8/55 miles

I ran my 5k today and overall I was very pleased. I live in a small town of ~5000 people. So it was a pretty small race. It wasn't real well advertised and they did not chip time. In fact, they didn't even officially time anyone. They just placed us in the order we finished and there was just 1 winner who won a gift card to Hibbit Sports. So it was pretty low key. The lady who organized it is a PA here who ran Boston in April. She just kind of threw it together. But she used a course that the Hospital has used for a 5k before and it was a good run. It also started at the park that is .5 miles from my house so I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn, although it would have been cooler. I didn't have an official time. My time on Strava was 33:06 which almost matched my husband's stopwatch at 33:10. It was a little faster than my 1st 5k and not quite as fast as my 2nd 5k. But I still felt really good about it. I am still trying to get a 5k under 30 minutes but I may not be able to do that in the heat of the summer and I am ok with that. It was already 91°F at the start if the race. And my last few runs have been pretty slow so I was very happy with my 10:43 average pace. As it stands I came in 9th out of 30 runners. I passed a few teenagers and even had 3 who tried to catch me at the end but I pulled out ahead of them and they couldn't catch me. Not bad for 49 year old who has been running for less than a year.

It sounds like so far it has been a good weekend of running. Today's 3.1 miles got me to my goal for July. I will probably take tomorrow as a rest day and Monday will be iffy since it is the last day of the month and my busy day at work.

@pastorvincent Great job on your race! And I'm glad your wife was excited about the race you signed her up for.

@elise4270 I'm not really sure what to say about your run this morning. Congrats on the PRs.

@jessicamcb I don't know, 35K is still pretty intimidating. Maybe not as intimidating as when I thought it was 35 miles, but still. Plus you came home and cooked breakfast. You are a beast!

exercise.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Okay, not looking forward to my long run tomorrow. 4am low in the 80s! Today is just, No......

hjd1urp038o7.png
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Okay, not looking forward to my long run tomorrow. 4am low in the 80s! Today is just, No......

hjd1urp038o7.png

Now I feel like I can't complain about the heat here :smile:
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB
    ETA: I did the conversion on my mileage to the imperial and my month stands at just under 270 miles which should sound much more normal to people now I think?

Yes. TOTALLY normal. *rolls eyes*

More normal @girlinahat - much more normal than 420+ miles would've been anyway!

Way to go on the AG Moby- money isn't hurting anybody's feelings ;) . Pretty cool they gave you concession tickets for the fair too!
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    That's amazing @RespectTheKitty , congratulations! I love that you planted a tree to commemorate 13.1.

@MNLittleFinn I'm so glad you ran it and within your pacing goals too! Rock on buddy!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I'm so glad you ran it and within your pacing goals too! Rock on buddy!

Thanks! I might be slow, but I keep pushing.... I guess that's the whole point of ultra training, isn't it?

Great run today and, yeah, balancing family time with a heavy training load is HARD. You're doing great!