The science is in: exercise won’t help you lose much weight

Options

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Doing steady state cardio jacks up my appetite like nothing else. HIIT and resistance training reduce it. I do agree that the type of exercise matters.

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    My regular 30-45 min workouts act as an appetite suppressant for me. No workout or a heavy workout? I struggle to stick to my plan, even accounting for the increased calorie allowance.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot and I eat a lot. I've found a balance between my CI and CO. It's not the healthiest diet, but I am able to maintain a good weight, enjoy food that I like, and move my body in the ways that I like. When I don't exercise, because we are travelling or life gets in the way, I tend to gain weight but I also eat less because I'm not as hungry. I know the difference between real hunger and boredom hunger.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I can see that. People think " oh ,I worked out, I can eat more".

50 mile bike ride planned for tomorrow. Should I not eat more afterwards?
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What's a SAD diet?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    What's a SAD diet?

Standard American diet

Sugar and Diabetes

Pretty much interchangeable :smirk:
  • HealthyGoalie1
    HealthyGoalie1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    What's a SAD diet?

Standard American diet

Sugar and Diabetes

Pretty much interchangeable :smirk:

Ohhh thanks :smiley:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in other news, the earth revolves around the sun ...
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

You get a cookie
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck

People forget there's two parts to eat less, move more......

LMAO
  • NorthCascades
    Options

You get a cookie

... but I'm not allowed to eat it. Maybe it comes with a mat and frame!
  • NorthCascades
    Options

I think it's more the "i went on the elliptical for 30 minutes so now i can enjoy this venti caramel frappuccino!"mindset

I'd like to be a smartass and say something like "well, calories are only really burned outdoors then."

I'm not going to ride 50 miles for the calories, that's unthinkable. I'm going to do it because it means I'm going to spend 3 hours exploring a beautiful place, without walls and a ceiling like in my car. I won't be in a rush like when I've driven through the area before, I'll be able to smell the pines. I'm looking forward to getting out of the city again.

But I'm also going to burn a lot of calories, and I'm going to replace them all with tacos.

Maybe another difference is you can't really know how many calories you've burned on an elliptical. I use a power meter to measure (torque vector and angular velocity) how much energy I put into the bike and will never be more than 5% off from the truth with this method.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday at a family reunion several people asked me how I did it. My wife jumped in and said, "He ate a little less and moved a little more!"
  • jennyf55
    jennyf55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat = 3500 calories. You have to create a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. It's as simply as that. If you reduce your intake over a period of time by a total of 3500 calories or you use/burn more calories than you normally would to reduce the 3500 calories, it's still a matter of creating that deficit in order to lose that pound of fat. You can't burn the calories, then eat them back or vice versa and still expect loss weight. That's physically impossible.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I often serve at the kiosk in the supermarket where I work and it saddens me how often I see ladies fresh out from their sessions in the gym buying their post-workout snacks consisting mainly of chocolate and full sugar energy drinks. They don't realise they are about to consume more calories just in that snack than they burned in the gym...
    But hey, their fellas were already in earlier stocking up on beer and crisps for the night, bypassing the whole exercise thing completely!
    But this is how things are shaping up in the UK now, a lot of folks are getting fatter and fatter whilst most of what they eat and drink is just making it worse.