What's the general opinion on peanuts?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Ref: http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5f.html

See under NUTS:

Almonds up to 15 mgs
    Peanuts up to 25 mgs
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Consider almonds. More nutrition and vitamins. Potassium, phosphorus, vitamin E, good fats.

By weight, peanuts have more potassium and phosphorus than almonds do. They also contain vitamin E, although not as much as almonds do. Both are a good source of fat.

How is one easier to log than the other? You toss both on the scale easily.
    Consider almonds. More nutrition and vitamins. Potassium, phosphorus, vitamin E, good fats.

By weight, peanuts have more potassium and phosphorus than almonds do. They also contain vitamin E, although not as much as almonds do. Both are a good source of fat.

How is one easier to log than the other? You toss both on the scale easily.

No they don't? Almonds have more potassium and phosphorus by weight.

Maybe I checked a bad website? I still don't see the point of choosing one over another based on those characteristics. Both contain them and that kind of dietary micromanaging is just going to be ineffective and frustrating for most people.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Ref: http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5f.html

See under NUTS:

Almonds up to 15 mgs
    Peanuts up to 25 mgs

What? It's saying that 10 almonds = 15g and that 5 in shell peanuts = 25g and that 30 of the roasted peanuts = 25g.....

The amount in milligrams is the amount of the nutrient in 100g of each of them.

So in 100g of almonds there is 440mg of phosphorus. In 100g of peanuts there is either 250 or 370 for in shell and roasted and salted, both of which are lower than almonds.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Okay, I double checked. An ounce of almonds has 207 mg of potassium, an ounce of peanuts has 199. So almonds do have more, but it's not a different that is going to be nutritionally significant for most people. An ounce of almonds has 134 mg of phosphorus, an ounce of peanuts has 106. So I was incorrect in my statement and I apologize for that.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I prefer almonds or hazelnuts for taste reason
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    macademia nuts for ALLLLL the fats
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat peanuts because I can't control myself well around them. When I do eat them I buy the shelled ones (monkey nuts?) because they are work to eat and slow you down so you feel happy with a reasonable amount (more or less). If you can control yourself to have a reasonable portion, sure. But it's good to remember that just because they are "clean" and "whole foods" doesn't mean you can eat a whole lot of them. They are high in calories.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    they're delicious.... :)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Charlir Brown's too hard on himself, Lucy fluctuates between awesome and *kitten*, Linus is full of himself, and Snoopy is fun B)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. There are no peanut allergies in my house so we have peanut butter readily available. I include a generous dollop of peanut butter most days.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    3 Tablespoons of peanuts is 170 calories - this is taken from the label on my jar of peanuts

I like peanuts, I like eating peanuts... but I also have self-control so I don't go over my calorie goal

Peanuts are good, just don't overeat because it's really easy to overeat them :p
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love all things peanut. But I limit what I eat of them.