Food scales? Advice?

Options
Hypsibius
Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
My wife wants to get a food scale -- any recommendations? She needs it just to accurately measure meals. I'm going to put in an order today if I can find a good one on Amazon, but see a VERY broad range from $10 to $200... just want something simple, accurate, that won't break on me :). Thanks!

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Oxo makes good ones. They have one that goes up to 22 pounds. I covet it. My Oxo is great, but maxes out at 5. I have to go through some shenanigans to get the weight of a full pot of chili.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display-11-Pound/dp/B007WTI8J2?th=1&psc=1

(The link is for the 11 lb scale, but you can select the 22 lb one.)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I got this one. It was on Groupon for cheaper than this. And I could get PURPLE! LOL I've had it about three years, I think. A couple of battery changes, other than that, it's been fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-157RR-Glass-Digital-Kitchen/dp/B0051ZOJFQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498832496&sr=8-2&keywords=escali+digital+scale
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You don't have a store nearby you could just pick one up? You could have it today. I picked mine up at a discount store called Wal-mart. It was by the measuring cups.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If it measures to the gram, that's accurate enough. Walmart, Target, or Amazon should be able to hook you up for about $10
  • Hypsibius
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Oxo makes good ones. They have one that goes up to 22 pounds. I covet it. My Oxo is great, but maxes out at 5. I have to go through some shenanigans to get the weight of a full pot of chili.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display-11-Pound/dp/B007WTI8J2?th=1&psc=1

Nice. Bought that one. Thanks!
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »

Nice. Bought that one. Thanks!

Report back on how you like it. I'll have to live vicariously through you until either my current one goes bust (it's already many years old but I'm not holding my breath) OR Christmas. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    $20-$30 should buy a fine one. Choose one with a flat top (like a miniature bathroom scale) so you can put any dish, plate or pot on top of it and put in ingredients one at a time, setting it back to zero in between (tare function). Digital so you can easily switch between grams, and ounces. I like a metal-topped one instead of glass because I'm a klutz and I cook with a lot of cast iron.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    $15 and you're good.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with expensive ones. I got mine free through an Amazon promotion and it's totally fine. You only need to see that it weighs consistently and you'll quickly find that out when you set a certain bowl or plate on it repeatedly before zeroing it out. Don't spend more than $25 or so. There's no point.
    odnxqx2lqnwr.jpg
  • __TMac__
    Options
    How's it working out so far?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that you can get this at stores like Target and walmart. You don't have to buy online. The food scales are next to the measuring cups.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get one that weighs up to 20 pounds. It's a lifesaver when making big pots of chili or soups.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I have a MyWeigh KD-7000 that I bought on eBay. It weighs up to 13 pounds, so it's great for weighing whole recipes. The top is stainless steel and it switches easily between ounces and grams. It has a good warranty too. Around $35.
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I bought the 11 lb one at HEB and love it (I was replacing my old one for one that had a larger base). When I bought it, I was looking for one that offered a higher max weight, but I've realized that it is almost impossible for me to get even close to the max on my 11 lb one. xD I really liked that it had a pull out display though so I don't have to fiddle with how to place bowls so I can still see it when weighing.
  • Hypsibius
    Options
    How's it working out so far?

It's great! My wife is getting a lot of use out of it because she's carefully tracking her macros. No complaints so far. Good purchase.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    @Hypsibius -- Glad to hear it! Thanks for responding. I've been curious if the recommendation worked out. :)
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Yes! My 5-lb scale died after many years of good use -- it starting flickering between wildly different weights, even after changing the batteries -- so I ordered the 22-lb Oxo. Very excited. :)
  • memeevans996
    memeevans996 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Please let us know what you think. I am in the market, saw good things about the OXO.