Carb calories

Options
Des0922
Des0922 Posts: 3 Member
Counting just net carbs or total carbs? Do you count the carbs from veggies?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I count total carbs. Vegies have calories, so they definitely get counted.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Not really a debate, depends on what your purpose is for counting carbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't count carbs or calories usually, but when it comes to carbohydrate foods I'm interested in colorful plants that are high in fiber and nutrients. In other words I'm interested in eating plenty of fiber rich vegetables.
    Given that, when I have counted carbs, I counted net carbs.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I suppose that would depend entirely on your perspective. I personally don't count carbs at all, only calories. If you are cutting, this is far more important to be mindful of than any particular macro.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I count calories.

When I was doing low carb, I counted net carbs.

Now that I'm not low carbing, I don't particularly care about my carbohydrate count, though I do care about the source of my carbs for satiety and nutrition.
  • Des0922
    Des0922 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My coach tells me not to worry much about lean protein and veggies as long as I'm satisfied. But he restricts me a lot when it come to other carbohydrates such as rice, potatoes, and grains. I'm trying something different now, this is why I started using MyFitnessPal. I'm keeping everything healthy and as clean as possible. I just decided to change my carb and fat intake. Going higher in healthy fats and lowering carbs. I'm trying to grow muscle as well as leaning down.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I followed total carbs for about 5 months. I eat a ketogenic diet so I wanted to make sure my carbs were low enough. I never used net carbs but I did follow fibre and sugar. I tried to make sure fibre was about half of any carbs I ate, meaning it was veggies, and my sugar was at 5g or less.

I also followed protein because I tend to come in low on that.