Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Phatcat313 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What do you do as a woman when you are craving carbs during that time of the month? I do keto for fat loss. Here are my macros: 30c/73f/99p. I NEVER meet or go above my fat macros. I stay within 30g of whole carbs and I ALWAYS meet my protein and Im continuously losing weight. Should I eat just a little more fat to satisfy my craving but stay within my fat limit? It's only for a few days.

I'm a little confused about that because you say you're craving carbs but are wondering about increasing fat.

With keto, your fat goal is something you are supposed to hit, not stay under. Also, I see with keto 60-75% of calories (or even more) are supposed to come from fat. So your target macros are off.

Also, at 1173 calories unless you are very very short you are probably undereating. How tall are you and how many pounds do you want to lose?

Furthermore, many of us women find it helpful to eat at maintenance for a few days at our TOM. I feel that since metabolism and appetite is up, so should calories be.

No, to lose weight which I am doing continuously, eating less fat is the goal. Fat is a lever. Protein is always the goal to keep lean muscle mass. When I reach my maintenance weight, I will eat more fat but it will NEVER be more than my protein intake. The question was specifically about cravings. I'm only craving because of my hormones because of TOM. It seems no one can be helpful so I will just increase my electrolytes and fat a little bit. Thanks.

you dont eat less fat to lose weight fat doesnt make you fat and with keto its supposed to be low carb high fat. to lose weight all thats needed is a caloric deficit. keto is not a special way to lose weight as you can also overeat on keto. if you are craving carbs many are telling you to increase fat which may or may not satiate you and help with cravings. not getting enough fat in keto/and not getting enough calories can make you want to eat more or crave certain foods. eat enough calories and get enough fat and see what happens.

Guess what? When I was doing it that way, I was getting fat until I did my own research, found a knowledgeable group, ketogains and I've been losing since. Sorry, you are wrong. Too much fat will in fact make you fat.

Why don't you ask them these questions, then? Seems to me like you aren't open to other viewpoints. And no, too much anything will make you fat.

Pretty much this.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you're doing low carb AND low fat then you're not on a "ketogenic plan". Your diet sounds more Dukan like to me.

When i was doing keto, i ate at around 100g of fat everyday, and weight dropped off of me easily. Fat wont make you gain weight, excess calories will though.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed.

The whole point of keto is higher fat for satiety. It doesn't work for everyone though.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I agree that I'd keep electrolytes up and increase fats when dealing with the TOM cravings. And ditto checking out the low carbers daily forum that pp mentioned; very helpful group! I'm currently LCHF but I was keto for months and found that if I ate a bit more on "hungry" days I tended to have less-hungry days where I ate a bit less, so it balanced out. If I were extra hungry one day though, I might eat more (as much as up to maintenance calories for a day or two) but would keep carbs within range to keep the benefits of eating keto. For me that worked well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OP i forgot to answer your question! If you need help with those cravings UP your fat and keep your electrolytes in check.

If you feel like something sweet there are loads of keto desserts on the web. These were my favourites:

http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What do you do as a woman when you are craving carbs during that time of the month? I do keto for fat loss. Here are my macros: 30c/73f/99p. I NEVER meet or go above my fat macros. I stay within 30g of whole carbs and I ALWAYS meet my protein and Im continuously losing weight. Should I eat just a little more fat to satisfy my craving but stay within my fat limit? It's only for a few days.

I'm a little confused about that because you say you're craving carbs but are wondering about increasing fat.

With keto, your fat goal is something you are supposed to hit, not stay under. Also, I see with keto 60-75% of calories (or even more) are supposed to come from fat. So your target macros are off.

Also, at 1173 calories unless you are very very short you are probably undereating. How tall are you and how many pounds do you want to lose?

Furthermore, many of us women find it helpful to eat at maintenance for a few days at our TOM. I feel that since metabolism and appetite is up, so should calories be.

No, to lose weight which I am doing continuously, eating less fat is the goal. Fat is a lever. Protein is always the goal to keep lean muscle mass. When I reach my maintenance weight, I will eat more fat but it will NEVER be more than my protein intake. The question was specifically about cravings. I'm only craving because of my hormones because of TOM. It seems no one can be helpful so I will just increase my electrolytes and fat a little bit. Thanks.

you dont eat less fat to lose weight fat doesnt make you fat and with keto its supposed to be low carb high fat. to lose weight all thats needed is a caloric deficit. keto is not a special way to lose weight as you can also overeat on keto. if you are craving carbs many are telling you to increase fat which may or may not satiate you and help with cravings. not getting enough fat in keto/and not getting enough calories can make you want to eat more or crave certain foods. eat enough calories and get enough fat and see what happens.

Guess what? When I was doing it that way, I was getting fat until I did my own research, found a knowledgeable group, ketogains and I've been losing since. Sorry, you are wrong. Too much fat will in fact make you fat.

If you think fat makes you fat, then why on earth would you do keto which is a high fat eating plan?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I think you should research what a keto diet is. It is a high fat diet.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

If you have a look at the Success Stories forum here, there are lots of people who lost weight using the Low Carb, High Fat way of eating. If what you say about fat was true, that would not be the case.
    I lost a lot of weight and did not eat a low fat diet, myself.
    So, no, eating fat does not make you fat. You are wrong.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

You didn't answer my question about how tall you are. Unless you are very very short, under-eating is contributing to your cravings. 1173 calories is too few for most women, especially at that TOM.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

you dont eat less fat to lose weight fat doesnt make you fat and with keto its supposed to be 30 low carb high fat. to lose weight all thats needed is a caloric deficit. keto is not a special way to lose weight as you can also overeat on keto. if you are craving carbs many are telling you to increase fat which may or may not satiate you and help with cravings. not getting enough fat in keto/and not getting enough calories can make you want to eat more or crave certain foods. eat enough calories and get enough fat and see what happens.

Ketogains suggests 60% Fat. Your target is 56%, but you said you never meet it. How far under are you going?

Also, as stated earlier, you may need to increase salt as well.