Cheese trick

Options
I am a cheese junky but it's awfully calorie dense. These tricks help me satisfy my daily cheese cravings when other things are crowding the diary.

1. Strongly flavored cheeses go further to satisfy with small amounts

3. Freshly grate or shred them

Right now, the strongly flavored cheeses our fridge include smoked gouda, smoked cheddar, parmigiano reggiano, asiago, peccorino romano, etc.

Half an ounce of grated extra sharp cheddar is sufficient to melt over a single serving of tortilla chips. Add some low fat sour cream for 40 cal. and you have a decadent cheesy snack.

Replies

• rainyday1132
    rainyday1132 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love me some cheese too! These are good tips, thanks!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I am a cheese junky but it's awfully calorie dense. These tricks help me satisfy my daily cheese cravings when other things are crowding the diary.

Is this just a numbering error, or was there supposed to be a tip #2? These are good tips, but I knew them already. I'm hoping #2 will be something new to me, to help with getting more cheese bang for my calorie buck.

I did learn recently that my aversion (since childhood) to soft cheeses like brie was more an aversion to eating them served too cold. Now I leave them out of the refrigerator for about an hour before eating, and they taste really good to me. Bonus: when they're actually runny soft, a little goes a much longer way smeared across a cracker or toast.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I like the strong tasting cheeses too. But many of the milder tasting cheese (like mozzarella) have less calories per oz than hard cheeses. I have 'em all. Just not on the same day.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Is this just a numbering error, or was there supposed to be a tip #2? These are good tips, but I knew them already. I'm hoping #2 will be something new to me, to help with getting more cheese bang for my calorie buck.

I guess when I hit return twice it skipped a number. I'm afraid I can't think of anything right now except perhaps that it's better to spend the money on real parmigiano reggiano and other hard cheeses that are really hard because they end up seeming to be a lot more than grated that softer, cheaper versions.

• kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Agree! Spend the money on good, tasty cheese and you will use less.
    I have a mean-*kitten* low cal blue cheese dressing recipe I made up myself that uses this concept. I make one salad worth at a time because blue cheese dressing is heroin.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I like the strong tasting cheeses too. But many of the milder tasting cheese (like mozzarella) have less calories per oz than hard cheeses. I have 'em all. Just not on the same day.

Also, the mildest cheeses are usually the lowest in sodium. But double check labels.

For snacks I keep the individual cheese sticks on hand because the serving is already set.

I have to eat high calcium, so dairy is a lot of my diet.
  • catluvgal
    catluvgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Or go low carb and have about as much tasty cheese as you like.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Some of favorites are goat cheese, feta and now after 30 years of hating its guts - blue cheese! These are good ones you can have small amounts of (especially spread out in a salad) and still get tons of flavor.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Some of favorites are goat cheese, feta ...

Trader Joe's blocks of light feta break my NO LIGHT CHEESE rule. It's really tasty, it's cheaper than feta in the regular supermarket, and it's only 40 calories/ounce!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    catluvgal wrote: »
    Or go low carb and have about as much tasty cheese as you like.

Well no. I could happily and easily blow all of my calories on cheese. Because cheese.

The grating of hard cheeses is a really good way to make it feel like more.

The stinkier the cheese the better for me but I still want to eat bucketfuls of it. I live two minutes from a really good cheese/booze/charcuterie shop so I can buy a small amount to stop me from just mainlining a kilo at a time!