How to handle stupidity in the gym.... Help

Options
CoachFrenchie
CoachFrenchie Posts: 135 Member
Well there it goes.... Summer time so college students are back in my gym. And this new bunch is something else. I do not like to be interrupted in my workouts. And I do not take well to the condescending attitude whatsoever.... To be told to leave my sled loaded by a young dude because he wanted to warm up? Hell no. I became agressive as a wild cat and reminded him who's name was on the side of the sled: mine. Not a good reaction. I know. How would you react or how do you react to situations like that???? I should be patient.... But not the French's strong point......

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Wear ear buds, crank some tunes and ignore the kids.

Take a black sharpie pen and write your name on ever piece of equipment you plan to use.

Practice your rbf.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I would ride the sled. I would ride it hard.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeThiYl-yPtJYtq3rNFxAhhgn1haAnv1gHY5gZoK8OQnIUaEXk

I'd ride something hard too.

Probably not a sled.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You need a nice house outside of a city, with a big yard... and then you can do your own thing. Then you can flip your tires, do sled dragging and so on...

If your gym has a lot of brash young men there's probably not too much you can do to discourage them.

Maybe if you can befriend the biggest one and recruit him to your purpose of chasing the other young guys out of your space.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells make fantastic weapons
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think your reaction was excessive, at least for this particular, singular situation.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm confused? The sled is yours?

He asked for you to leave it loaded when you were done....I mean. If it it's the gym's sled I don't understand the issue.

I'm with you. I don't understand why you can't just leave the plates on it for him when you're done.

Right? If I see someone cleaning the bar after deadlifts and I'm up next, I'll ask them to leave a 45 on so I can warm up. What's the point of having them put everything away just so I can turn around and do it again?

Maybe OP took some bad PWO.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    OP was it because he mentioned leaving YOUR working weight on for his WARM-UP? If he was flaunting that he's just being a dumb kid. I can't imagine any other reason for being put off by the request.
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    Exactly bbell! Could not express well in English! I think I resent mainly the tone, the way it seems so cool to always want to compete with me ( which is so stupid!) . I do what I do so I can bring in more and more equipment to the gym. It makes me sad that I see women coming at the door of that room and turn away because of the attitude. I need to find a way to handle that so women feel good about powerlifting and want to try?
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    And yes the equipment is mine. Sled, yoke, platform,....
  • Toughlife04
    Toughlife04 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just focus , head down and push yourself hard, if you are getting distracted during your workouts then you have to work on your Focus thing . Nothing should distract you , No excuses ... just get it done ... Period!!!!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    spartan546 wrote: »
    Exactly bbell! Could not express well in English! I think I resent mainly the tone, the way it seems so cool to always want to compete with me ( which is so stupid!) . I do what I do so I can bring in more and more equipment to the gym. It makes me sad that I see women coming at the door of that room and turn away because of the attitude. I need to find a way to handle that so women feel good about powerlifting and want to try?

That is kind of annoying. He didn't have to say he was going to use the weight to warm up. But he's a kid.

Are you donating all this equipment?
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Did the guy know this was your sled? Or did he think it was the property of the gym? There's been plenty of times I've told someone they could leave their weights on a piece of equipment because I was going to use it when they were done, none of which have resulted in anyone becoming as aggressive as a wild cat. Did you growl at him?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I'm confused? The sled is yours?

He asked for you to leave it loaded when you were done....I mean. If it it's the gym's sled I don't understand the issue.

I'm with you. I don't understand why you can't just leave the plates on it for him when you're done.

Maybe OP took some bad PWO.

PWO Instructions: never exceed 3 scoops
    OP: I took 12

I always thought proper gym etiquette was if someone is waiting, ask if they are using the same weight and if so can work in(especially with regulars - what comes around goes around, if I'm considerate they'll usually be the same way with me). If not, ask how many (if any) plates they want to be left when you're done.