Proper pushup form

Options
jayemes
jayemes Posts: 865 Member
Elbows in or elbows out to the side? I've seen both and not sure which is right.

Replies

• DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Elbows in hits the tricep heads more where as elbows to the side reduces tricep involvement, basically whatever is more comfortable/easier for you.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    elbows in. this is the video i always recommend for proper form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IODxDxX7oi4&
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Both are correct, just different. Elbows out uses more chest, elbows in more tricep and front of the shoulder. Do both!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Both are correct, as pp mentioned. I personally can do elbows out no problem, but elbows in I drop to the floor. I have no tricep strength.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just a note about "elbows out", they should form an arrow, not a T. Out just means they aren't tucked directly against your body, but they shouldn't be flared out wide
  • jayemes
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks everyone!
    I'm starting out and I can do 5 modified push ups (on my knees) but my elbows definitely flare out a bit. MUCH harder for me to keep them tucked into my sides.
    I'm going to work on both this month. I want to be strong enough to do full pushups by the end of July!
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Elbows out is tougher on your shoulders. Rybo and I agree - your elbows should form the arrowhead with your head being the tip of the arrow.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Just a note about "elbows out", they should form an arrow, not a T. Out just means they aren't tucked directly against your body, but they shouldn't be flared out wide

this is exactly what i mean then i said "elbows in".
    you don't want this:
    yoga_perfect_push_up.jpg
  • jayemes
    Options
    Gotcha - and from someone who had double carpal tunnel surgery a few years ago, even looking at his hands in that position bugs me lol
    I'm able to do them (modified) with much more of an arrow shape to my elbows, so I feel better now.
    Always good to know you're heading in the right direction!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    Perfect! Thanks everyone!
    I'm starting out and I can do 5 modified push ups (on my knees) but my elbows definitely flare out a bit. MUCH harder for me to keep them tucked into my sides.
    I'm going to work on both this month. I want to be strong enough to do full pushups by the end of July!

Another tip, do them with your hands on an elevated surface like a box or a step instead of going to your knees. It's much better way to progress.
  • jayemes
    Options
    @rybo I'll definitely try that thanks!