I want to lose 45 pounds by my 21st birthday!

Options
Short Introduction: I am a 20 year old college student who live in Atlanta. I am doing great on my journey during the summer but whenever I go back to school I slide back into old habits. I am 55lbs down and don't want to reverse.
Any tips? My birthday is October the 31st. I know you shouldn't rush weight loss but for someone whose been overweight mostly all her life being out of the 200s will be the greatest gift to myself. Thanks to anyone in advance.

Replies

• thomasegbert09
    thomasegbert09 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What helped me was going to the gym with a friend. He taught me weight training. With weight training, you may not see results with a scale (muscle weighs more than fat), but you will definitely see it in your clothes.
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What helped me was going to the gym with a friend. He taught me weight training. With weight training, you may not see results with a scale (muscle weighs more than fat), but you will definitely see it in your clothes.

That is definitely something I have to work on! I need to start toning and not so much cardio.
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can reasonably look to lose 8-10lbs a month so 45 by October 31st can happen if you're dedicated. I know you want to tone, but as stated above doing more weights than cardio may not result in loss. If you want loss, cardio is most important. That's not to say of course you can't tone while you lose, but don't put all of your effort into toning. Best of luck to you!
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    You can reasonably look to lose 8-10lbs a month so 45 by October 31st can happen if you're dedicated. I know you want to tone, but as stated above doing more weights than cardio may not result in loss. If you want loss, cardio is most important. That's not to say of course you can't tone while you lose, but don't put all of your effort into toning. Best of luck to you!

Thank you hun! I'll definitely work on my cardio while incorporated toning but focus on cardio more. Maybe I'll go full blown toning in the end? I appreciate your response. :blush:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You are not necessarily getting good advice here. Multiple studies have found that weight training benefits weight loss as much as or even more than cardio, helps you retain muscle and lose fat, and gaining muscle has the added advantage of keeping your metabolism high so you don't regain weight when you stop dieting.

My original goal was to be out of the "obese" category by my last birthday, which also conveniently was a little over 50 lbs loss, and a little under 200 lbs goal weight, and I made my goal with one week to go. It took about five months. October 31 may be cutting it close but I'll be pulling for you! You have the advantage of being younger than I am which usually makes weight loss go faster.

As far as tips, you mentioned that you backslide when you go to school. What about your lifestyle there and situation leads you into trouble? Do you go out with friends a lot, drink your calories, is it harder to cook or buy nutritious foods? Look at what makes it easy for you to eat in a disordered way, and then see if you can plan ways to do things differently in those situations. For example if you and your friends always go out to eat together, you might try doing something else together. If you have problems with time, food prepping would help. If you are stuck near nothing but fast food places sometimes you could bring food. But the first step is figuring out why you got the bad habits in the first place. Something made that way of eating easy for you. Your objective is to make good habits as easy and convenient as bad habits.
  • horses4ever1414
    horses4ever1414 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Working out with a friend is said you will lose weight faster. I'm a U.S Army so I work out a lot with my friends and I see a difference
    Ps
    Hope you reach your goal :)
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    Working out with a friend is said you will lose weight faster. I'm a U.S Army so I work out a lot with my friends and I see a difference
    Ps
    Hope you reach your goal :)
    Thank you for your encouragement! Also, thank you for your service!
  • horses4ever1414
    horses4ever1414 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Your welcome and thank you :)
  • SeizeTheDay365
    SeizeTheDay365 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to lose a bunch of weight by my Nov. doctor's appointment. Let's "friend" each other for support.
  • willgt78
    willgt78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nmarine1996. The trick to long lasting weight loss results is understanding insulin. Every time I go to the gym I see people busting there *kitten* weight lifting, circuit training or on the cardio equipment trying to get leaner. But they train week after week and torture themselves with bland brutal diets for minimal results. The results they see are just not worth the amount of effort they have to invest. Which leads them to give up and just accept being overweight or flabby.
    The main problem is everyone thinks they need to "diet". Huge misconception that the health industry is happy to not correct. To burn fat you don't need to:
    1) Be in a caloric deficit. (Maintenance is fine).
    2) Track your macros.
    3) Weigh your food.
    4) Meal prep.
    5) Do a complete 180 on your diet and eat boiled chicken broccoli and rice every freaking meal.
    6) Technically, you don't even have to excersise (it does speed up the process).
    The most important thing you need to understand is insulin. You need to study, research and get as much information on what is the purpose of, when is it secreted and how it affects your fat production and fat consumption.
    Once you can confidently answere these questions then find the right eating style for your life so that it integrates seamlessly into your daily routine. Any questions hit me up, I'll be glad to help.
    #mind_body_soul_mbs
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    I want to lose a bunch of weight by my Nov. doctor's appointment. Let's "friend" each other for support.

Awesome!! How much?
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    willgt78 wrote: »
    Nmarine1996. The trick to long lasting weight loss results is understanding insulin. Every time I go to the gym I see people busting there *kitten* weight lifting, circuit training or on the cardio equipment trying to get leaner. But they train week after week and torture themselves with bland brutal diets for minimal results. The results they see are just not worth the amount of effort they have to invest. Which leads them to give up and just accept being overweight or flabby.
    The main problem is everyone thinks they need to "diet". Huge misconception that the health industry is happy to not correct. To burn fat you don't need to:
    1) Be in a caloric deficit. (Maintenance is fine).
    2) Track your macros.
    3) Weigh your food.
    4) Meal prep.
    5) Do a complete 180 on your diet and eat boiled chicken broccoli and rice every freaking meal.
    6) Technically, you don't even have to excersise (it does speed up the process).
    The most important thing you need to understand is insulin. You need to study, research and get as much information on what is the purpose of, when is it secreted and how it affects your fat production and fat consumption.
    Once you can confidently answere these questions then find the right eating style for your life so that it integrates seamlessly into your daily routine. Any questions hit me up, I'll be glad to help.
    #mind_body_soul_mbs

Thanks for the very insightful response. I'll keep that in mind on my journey!