Is All Weight Loss the Same?

Options
concetta1123
concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Last year, I lost weight and got to 130lbs.

Since then, I slipped up, gained weight, and now I'm 140lbs. I'm trying to lose weight again, since I feel as though I gave up last year and never reached my goal.

When I hit 130lbs again, will I look the same as I did last year at 130lbs?

This may seem like an odd question, but I'm curious. Is weight loss always the same?

Thanks! This is what happens when my mind wanders before bed :P

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Depends. Do you regularly lift weights? If so, maybe not. Otherwise, you'll look pretty similar within a year. 5 years...also maybe not.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    No. A pound of fat takes up more space then a pound of muscle. If I get down to 130 quickly by starving I would look much different than 130 while weight lifting.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    This above is something I need to remember. I'm so paranoid about the scale going up as I strengthen at GW, the losing was easy to measure and appreciate and the gaining not so much.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    This above is something I need to remember. I'm so paranoid about the scale going up as I strengthen at GW, the losing was easy to measure and appreciate and the gaining not so much.

I mean...I definitely got fat at one point. I gained on purpose. But it's a process. I never officially cut last year after my bulk so I must have recomped a little.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, it is never exactly the same. When you lose weight you lose both fat and muscle. How much you lose of each depends on a number of factors. Generally, people who exercise and eat plenty of protein retain muscle better than those who don't.
  • concetta1123
    concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    These answers all make a lot of sense. Last year I got to 130lbs by eating 1200 calories a day and doing mainly cardio.

This time, I do a mix of cardio and weight lifting and I eat 2000 calories.