Tea!

Options
VeganSarahAnne0619
VeganSarahAnne0619 Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hey Y'all! I'm trying to cut back on my coffee and thought I would try to do a cup of tea a day. I've never been a tea drinker and when I walk in the tea section I get overwhelmed! Any good suggestions on a brand or what tea is better for you? Thanks so much!:)

Replies

• gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I switched to green tea with a splash of soy milk instead of sugar or milk. I also ran across some kind of tea called pu'er tea which is supposed to have all kinds of health benefits. I haven't tried it yet but maybe someone here has?
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Green tea is supposedly better for you than black flavoured tea, however, I tend to dislike most green teas. I drink pretty much all black tea (that isn't chocolate or licorice flavoured because life is too short to drink bad tea) without milk or sugar. It can be bitter (especially if the quality isn't the best).

I would suggest just grabbing a box and trying it - the calories are negligible (unless you add sugar/milk) if you only drink one cup a day so I think you could "go wild" on this and not focus too much on which tea is healthier than the other (with some exceptions - there are ready-made teas which contain sugar and other additives and while delicious, should be consumed in moderation and logged).
  • VeganSarahAnne0619
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys! I enjoy green tea from Starbucks haha but I will try it without all the added sugar!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    nyponbell wrote: »
    Green tea is supposedly better for you than black flavoured tea, however, I tend to dislike most green teas. I drink pretty much all black tea (that isn't chocolate or licorice flavoured because life is too short to drink bad tea) without milk or sugar. It can be bitter (especially if the quality isn't the best).

I would suggest just grabbing a box and trying it - the calories are negligible (unless you add sugar/milk) if you only drink one cup a day so I think you could "go wild" on this and not focus too much on which tea is healthier than the other (with some exceptions - there are ready-made teas which contain sugar and other additives and while delicious, should be consumed in moderation and logged).

One problem with green and white teas is that people "cook" the leaves. If you use teabags, DO NOT put them into the water before microwaving. Also, if you use water heated on the stove or in a kettle it should be about 20 degrees under boiling, Cooked tea tastes really bitter.
  • VeganSarahAnne0619
    Options
    Awesome info I did not know that, thank you!