Weightlifting body or marathon body

Squatsandbench
Squatsandbench Posts: 24 Member
So a friend of mine last night, during a discussion on the gym, told me he didn't like bodies of runners. He said he felt that they weren't attractive. I was slightly astonished by him saying this. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think he is being a bit of a "body shamer". I think most people lift or run because they love to lift and run. On the other hand, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. Meh, i just slightly annoyed with his comments.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    So a friend of mine last night, during a discussion on the gym, told me he didn't like bodies of runners. He said he felt that they weren't attractive. I was slightly astonished by him saying this. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think he is being a bit of a "body shamer". I think most people lift or run because they love to lift and run. On the other hand, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. Meh, i just slightly annoyed with his comments.

Why does it matter... that's his opinion, that's fine, does it really affect you that much?

Is it because you see this 'friend' as more than just a friend?

Also, I presume he means professional or at least semi professional runners who are very lean? As I have seen runners of all shapes and sizes complete marathons.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I would prefer to have the body of a weight lifter I just lack the will power to do it. I'm not shaming myself I'm just being honest with myself. He is entitled to his opinion.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    When I was younger I was really inspired by pro-bodybuilders. Now in my middle ages I find I'd rather work towards a more well rounded body, ie, a combination of runner and weight lifter. Good muscle mass, but nothing freakish.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I'd say that "runner body" and "weightlifting body" are pretty broad sweeping, and have some major extremes.

On the one side: many world class runners do look like they escaped from Buchenwald.

On the other: Mr. Olympia, or the 120+kg powerlifters.

In the middle of this odd triangle of extremes? A whoooooole lot of variability.

Yep. A world class sprinter has a body that many people not familiar with bodybuilding would consider a "weight lifting" body.

Most of those guys at the world class sprinter level could just show up at local bodybuilding contests and not look out of place.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Was your fried talking 'attractive' in terms of other people's date-ability or in regards to an ideal body type for him?

Everyone is entitled to their personal preferences. I prefer very tall men, with more of a football player build than a basketball player build.

Re his own body type, he may have just been saying he prefers to have more meat on this bones.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't see the problem in expressing a preferred aesthetic, for yourself or generally. It's just a preference. I prefer roast potatoes to mashed. But I'll still, um, eat both? This analogy took a turn for the potentially adult.......

Yes, I have also eaten both ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Depends on the weight-lifter or runner. I have my own ideas of what I want my own body to look like (which doesn't particularly determine my activities, as I like both running and lifting and so far enjoy what both do for my body), and don't really care what others like.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't see the problem in expressing a preferred aesthetic, for yourself or generally. It's just a preference. I prefer roast potatoes to mashed. But I'll still, um, eat both? This analogy took a turn for the potentially adult.......

yeah, it's perfectly acceptabl.....

wait.

did you say: Mashed Potatoes ?

they're also smothered in gravy, right ??
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2017
    I would prefer to have the body of a weight lifter I just lack the will power to do it. I'm not shaming myself I'm just being honest with myself. He is entitled to his opinion.

LOL same here :lol:

OP there's quite a difference between a sprinters body and a marathoners body, the former being more muscular than the marathoners, from what I've seen anyway.

Was he talking about men or women?

I prefer a certain look on men, it's not body shaming, just my preferences.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I would prefer not to have a marathon runners body. A sprinters body is attractive to me. I am not shaming long distance runners but I do not find the look to be aesthetically pleasing. I admire their dedication to their sport.

I like power lifting. I tend not to like how I look when I'm gaining weight and getting stronger. I still do the sport though.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

yeah, it's perfectly acceptabl.....

wait.

did you say: Mashed Potatoes ?

they're also smothered in gravy, right ??

With an equal butter to potato ratio. Go big or go home.

Oh no. I made it adult again didn't I?
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    I find extremes of any type rather unattractive.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I don't think it matters unless the person falls into BOBFOC territory.

*strokes beard wisely*