The 10 reasons I really want to get in shape

Options
DaveMustGetFit
DaveMustGetFit Posts: 43 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
There are many reasons I want to lose weight.

My main reason is to be healthy and live the life I want and be there and around for my family. But what does that really mean. Here are ten real reasons behind this.

1. I don't want to be faced with a diagnosis of diabetes or other weight related illnesses. That sounds totally terrifying to me.
2. I admit I want to look good - really good naked, clothed or in swim shorts - lol!! I think this is normal and human to want to look good.
3. I want the energy and high from feeling in shape - always ready and on the go jumping from cliffs into oceans or out of an airplane, scuba diving in the keys or rafting a river. Living life!!
4. I want to have more energy for my family and others - not saying no to when they want to do stuff because "I am too tired".
5. I would love to take on a challenge like running a marathon or something similar. I think I can do it if I try?
6. I want to be able to improve my wardrobe and dress style so I can look better in every day situations. I hate that feeling of my pants being too tight. Would love to just let everything fit comfortably and how it should.
7. I want to live as long as I can - so much to do and so little time. I mean all this cool tech and great things to look forward to. Who doesn't want to live long enough for Star Wars episode 20.
8. I want my "real age" to be as young as possible vs my numeric age.
9. I don't want to feel limited on what I can do - I don't want to be that guy "sorry sir you are too heavy for this bungee cord" or "you can't go work out with these young people's - just not able to keep up".
10. I want to be able to run and run and run because I love running and the high it gives me
11. I want to be stronger for every day things like digging or lifting something heavy or fighting off an alligator (I live in Florida) - okay maybe I would just go back to the run and run on that last one.
12. I want to break the rules of life (well the bad ones) - I love breaking those rules - it's easier to break the rules when you are active and fit. Notice I said 10 reasons hahaha.

I am interested in other people's real reasons for getting into shape.

Replies

• hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'd be lying if I said that vanity and looking good in my clothes wasn't a big motivation for losing weight, but getting in shape has been really important to my quality of life:

1. I love hiking and active travel. Before, I was too unfit/intimidated to attempt more than a short hill walk. Now, I can do multi-day hikes without any particular training, because my everyday fitness level is good. 18 days straight of hiking in Nepal. Mt Kilimanjaro. I can do all the things on my hiking bucket list now.
    2. Being strong enough to get stuff done - carrying furniture, lifting up my own luggage, etc. I love the sense of empowerment that becoming physically strong has given me!
    3. Running a marathon - I seriously count this as one of my biggest life accomplishments! For someone who has never been remotely athletic, it was so amazing to see what my body was capable of.

I couldn't imagine going back to how I was before getting into shape. Next goal is to get even stronger with heavy lifting...totally inspired by all the heavy lifting ladies of MFP!
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've got a number of reasons, a good amount for vanity purposes.

1) I'm getting married in 3 months. My dress is ready, and fits well. I did try it on last week and it was tighter than I remembered. It still fits, bit I'd like a little more wiggle room.

2) Honeymoon. This is two reasons in one. I plan to spend a lot of time in the pool in a two piece. I'm also planning to do a lot of hiking, so being in shape for that would be nice.

3) My family had a history of heart disease, so extra weight increases my risk. I also have bad knees from a riding accident, so extra weight causes more joint pain.

4) I work in daycare, so being able to keep up with my kids is a big thing. I notice that I'm exhausted after work and frequently winded.

5) I love running and would like to get back into doing 5k races. My eventual goal would be to run in the Houston Half. I also would like to ride in the MS150 with my fiance.

6) Family. We are planning on having kids and I would like to be in shape before getting pregnant, but also stay in shape so I can have an active life with my family.

7) Future trips. Fiance and I want to travel before we settle down, including trips to Germany (he was raised there as a child), Hawaii (he was born there), Japan, and various places around the US. I want to be in shape for these trips so we can be active on them.

Not 10, but these are my big reasons.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Great reasons Dave!

1. I love to dance. I want to dance. Losing weight will be easier for my knees, body and endurance.
    2. Not having to worry about being squished in a booth at a restaurant, seat belt extender on planes etc.
    3. Make my kids proud of me.
    4. To stop thinking about losing weight. It is 24/7 for the last 45 years. Stop obsessing. Enough already.
    5. Start living, not doing things because of my weight; being active.
    6. More selections on clothing in stores; finding my real style
    7. Health of course, live long, be there for my kids in good health. Be done with meds and pain.
    8. Maybe a little sexy. Feeling good, happy and confident about myself head to toe.
    9. Knowing I have accomplished a great burden and struggle for me, though makes me feel sad because I know my struggles with my weight are really trivial compared to what others go through.
    10. Saying I am a recovered binge eater.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My top 5
    1. To eliminate joint pain from past injuries. Extra weight and lack of muscle to support my joints hurts me a lot but is getting better as I get leaner and stronger
    2. Vanity. I want to look fit and have my old clothes all fit
    3. Overall health. There are a lot of health risks with being over weight. My blood pressure is great now but wasn't when I started.
    4. Energy levels. I now have more energy to enjoy activities with my family.
    5. Mood. When I'm working out regularly and eating healthier I feel better which puts me in an overall better mood. I even handle stress at work better. My communication in my marriage is better because I'm happier with myself and my life. It basically improves everything for me.
  • Clody80
    Clody80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1. I want to be healthy and not become diabetic
    2. Feel good about myself, be even more confident. Not fear bad pictures with double chins and rolls everywhere
    3. Do better at cardio exercise, especially join my friends on long hikes without being a drag
    4. Be able to do some yoga poses which are hard to do fully when you are bigger (locks, advances arm balances, etc.)
    5. Fit gorgeous smaller clothes again, wear shorts and short skirts. My legs used to be great and are getting better by the day now :-)
  • xo_Chiquita
    xo_Chiquita Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get diabetes.
    I want to be energetic, clothes to fit good instead of feeling like sausage casing.
    I want to become a balanced, fit equestrian.