Logging tastes during cooking

Options
I bought a scale and am faithfully logging those weighed foods. My issue is those tastes you make during and after cooking. For instance, to adjust seasonings in a stir fry, I'll grab a fork and try it out a couple times before serving it. Yesterday, I made a cherry pie and took a couple bites (maybe 1/8 of a full slice of pie) because, you know, it's pie! My log looks like I'm consistently at or under my calories for the day but I wonder how to log these little bites along the way. Or should I just blow it off? Thoughts?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't try to keep track of them but they could add up depending on what they are.

For example, tasting the chicken stock to make sure it's cooked long enough to be tasty? If a cup of the stuff is 86 calories a teaspoon of it is less than 2 calories. I'm not going to worry.

On the other hand, I'm making a buerre blanc that's more like 30 calories a teaspoon? I might keep track in my head and "go light" later in the day.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @HeidiCooksSupper !
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have never ever even contemplated logging tastes during cooking, that would send me around the twist! OP if you're worried do a "quick add" entry in your diary of 50-100 calories.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I don't bother, but 98% of what I'm making is eaten solely by me anyway. So it really doesn't matter if I ate 50 calories worth of stuff today, since I'll be eating it all over the course of several weeks.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're doing things like licking a cookie dough bowl clean - that can easily be a couple cookies' worth of calories ;)

~Lyssa
  • ColwellCat
    ColwellCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I guestimate in my head, and if I think that the calories in that tasting "session" - ie cooking dinner, baking, whatever it is that I'm doing - is going to be 50+, then I log it, or adjust my logging of the finished product to include it.