Walks on rest days??

Options
I just finished week two of insanity and today is a rest day. Is it ok to take a long walk?
I noticed last Sunday I was really bored, didn't go for any walks or anything, but had a hard time going to sleep.
By walk I am planning to either take a walk down to the shoreline near my house or go browse the mall. I haven't really made up my mind.
What do you do for your rest days? Does this help you relax?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I walk five miles on my rest day.

Or cycle 20 miles
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Like the above posters, I also walk/cycle as part of an active recovery.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I walk 6-10 miles a day on workout days and rest days. I workout 6 days a week 60-90 minutes ketllebells, rowing, running, weights. I definitely can't imagine just sitting for a day, I'd go nuts.
  • geordie_magic
    geordie_magic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm currently walking around 4km on my lunch break which roughly burns up about 230 calories, great way to add an extra bit if cardio in without kicking your *kitten* to hard
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You are all awesome thank you for the help.
    On my regular workout days I walk anywhere from 5-10 miles, it depends on how busy that work day is for me.
    I was tired of not doing anything for my rest days.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am also another walker on my rest days. I usually strap the kids up and take them for a walk or do a light walk on the tredmill for a half hour or so. I like hearing how others walk as well, I used to always think that a rest day meant doing nothing active.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Rest days mean no weightlifting or intense cardio. Go for a walk, a swim, play with kids. Rest days are not sit around and do nothing days.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Hey, high five! Just started week 3 of insanity.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day (with rare exceptions) ... my "rest days" do involve walking. :)
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    @heidishmidi I'm starting week 3 tomorrow! High five!!!
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    Well my SO took our daughter out and I ended up doing some light house work, going to Walmart, and having a dance party in the living room. I looked up some Zumba videos on YouTube, but have no idea what I'm doing with them. lol.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Jdismybug1 wrote: »
    I looked up some Zumba videos on YouTube, but have no idea what I'm doing with them. lol.

Word. :confounded:
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    On my rest days I'll do yoga, a walk, or yard work/mowing lawn.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    As a triathlete, rest days are SUPER important to prevent injury. So I do usually take them as a complete rest day. I will walk enough to hit my daily step goal (whatever my garmin tells me that should be - right now, it's about 5000 steps per day) - but it is *extremely* leisurely (like 20+ min/mi)....sometimes I'll practice my bike handling skills (20 mins of low speed drills - bottle pickups, 180 turns, boxes, track standing, etc)...but that's it as far as "exercise" on rest days....I don't even do yoga - I save that for my "active recovery" days (along with easy rides). My training is significant enough on the other days of the week, that my body NEEDS a true rest day....especially as my swim/bike/run volume goes up.

I was out with injury for all of last season...in fact, i'm just getting back to running after almost 18 months of no running at all...so my volume from April 2016 until Feb 2017 was like 2 hours a week of swimming and an hour of light cycling, plus some functional fitness given to me by my PT (to address the muscle imbalances/weaknesses that caused my injury)....I'm up to between 5-6 hours per week of swimming/cycling now on average....recently started added 30-45 minutes of run/walk time per week (3-15 minute sessions)....Hopefully, I will be back to my 8ish hour training weeks soon...I have big race goals for the next few years (so my volume will be going up even more) :smile:
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't make it mandatory, but I walk or do an easy hour on the elliptical on my rest days (enough to be a benefit, but not enough that I'm really pushing myself). I actually enjoy the easy hour on the elliptical because it gives me some time to catch up on TV shows that I haven't yet had the chance to watch. Thank goodness for streaming TV!
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Walker on "rest days" but i can them active rest days to remind myself not to just lounge around all day
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I definitely walk on rest days. A nice 3 mile loop near my house, or a stroll down to a beach, is restorative. I get so antsy just sitting around. I think it keeps my muscles limber. And I sleep better at night.