Am I getting value from my exercise routine?

2»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    If it's 23 minutes, it may be HIIT but it's not tabata. Tabata is a specific protocol developed by a man named Tabata which is 20 seconds max intensity, 10 moderate intensity, for 4 minutes, with a 2 minute warm up and cool down. Sorry to be pedantic, just thought you should know. If the broken elliptical machine gets to the point that you aren't able to achieve high intensity on it, there are plenty of exercises you can use for HIIT intervals without equipment. Various jumping exercises such as burpees are good for this. I do a jumping abdominal twist thing as intervals. The main thing is that it's something which is the correct intensity for you.

Since you've been doing the same 21 push-ups for a while, one thing you might try is the 100 push-up challenge, which gradually increases the number of push-ups you can do. You could also add some other body weight exercises such as squats, crunches and pull-ups.
  • fedenaj1
    fedenaj1 Posts: 14 Member
    If it's 23 minutes, it may be HIIT but it's not tabata. Tabata is a specific protocol developed by a man named Tabata which is 20 seconds max intensity, 10 moderate intensity, for 4 minutes, with a 2 minute warm up and cool down. Sorry to be pedantic, just thought you should know. If the broken elliptical machine gets to the point that you aren't able to achieve high intensity on it, there are plenty of exercises you can use for HIIT intervals without equipment. Various jumping exercises such as burpees are good for this. I do a jumping abdominal twist thing as intervals. The main thing is that it's something which is the correct intensity for you.

Since you've been doing the same 21 push-ups for a while, one thing you might try is the 100 push-up challenge, which gradually increases the number of push-ups you can do. You could also add some other body weight exercises such as squats, crunches and pull-ups.

Understood. I somehow made the association from my Southbeach diet book (HIIT) and a Tabata app on my phone that fit the description of what I was supposed to do. These timings and intervals are current stepping stones. I will improve. Thank you for the insight, its appreciated.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    edited July 2017
    You mention that the intensity on your elliptical is broken... is the distance broken as well?

IF not, mix it up. Instead of finishing with 21 pushups, do 4 or 5 or 8 every 1/4 mile And mix up the intervals for the speed... go for distance vs time....

one day do 30 seconds.. another do 1/8 of a mile.. or 1/4 mile vs 60 seconds.. etc.

Also, there are other Body weight exercises you can do as you lose weight.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    I think you will see little benefit from your routine until you get more consistency with staying on track with your diet. I get the impression that you are a bit hit or miss with it due to those "special occasions." 80% of losing weight in done in the kitchen. Also, it sounds like you are eating your excercise calories back. People have differing opinions, but not eating them back worked for me and helped keep me on track especially because measuring actual "burned calories" is tough and rarely accurate.

How about a P90x or Insanity? I have had friends who have had great success with that. The body is amazingly resilient even when overweight and you will be surprised at what you can do when you really push yourself. (Coming from someone who was 90lbs overweight with stressed knees and pushed through brutal MMA workouts as my excercise of choice)