Pants

Options
So I've lost 20.5 lbs.
Some of my pants and jeans are loose and I'll fitting, some I am barely getting back into.
I'm thinking cheap transition pants from Walmart?
I would go to a thrift store/goodwill but I've been finding the ones in my area charge almost as much as new Walmart clothing.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Value Village was my bff when I was losing weight. :)

Having said that, Walmart would work, too. Save your money until you reach your goal weight.
  • bacs
    bacs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Check if you have any Salvation Army Thrift stores nearby. They do 50% off Saturdays. I just bought 3 pairs to tide me over for a bit. Paid about $10 total. Walmart also has good clearance sales, especially mid season. I'm down 20 lbs too with about 25 to go.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Also check out the website thredup.com! You might find some things you like there for less than new :)

~Lyssa
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    When I am dropping sizes fairly quickly, I buy the $10 jeans at Walmart. But then I have this thing about wearing "used" clothes. I just can't do it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Jdismybug1 wrote: »
    So I've lost 20.5 lbs.
    Some of my pants and jeans are loose and I'll fitting, some I am barely getting back into.
    I'm thinking cheap transition pants from Walmart?
    I would go to a thrift store/goodwill but I've been finding the ones in my area charge almost as much as new Walmart clothing.

It's a shame, isn't it?

Lately I'm all about jeans from Old Navy. Reasonably priced and they match my proportions.

Slacks/khakis/etc I don't know as I haven't needed them in over a year, but before I'd wait for a 30% off coupon from Kohl's (requires a Kohl's charge card) in the mail, or find the code for one online.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    That's so wonderfully frustrating. I have the same issue. I used to wear a 3X in jeans, now I'm in a 31 (juniors measurement), I think that's about a size 12ish. I'm still losing fat so I don't want to buy a whole slew of new clothes I'll just shrink out of. I watch for sales: last week Forever 21 had a sale on jeans - 2 for $25, so I bought myself two pairs because I NEEDED a belt on all my old ones. So now I only have two pairs of pants that actually fit. Oh well, shrinking size and having to buy new clothes is only mildly frustrating, I'm so happy when I grab a pair in what I think my size is and then have to go smaller because I shrank!!! Yay!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I think Walmart is a good idea. I've found it rather sad and humorous that the Goodwill thrift shop near me charges quite a bit more than Walmart, even for used Walmart clothes. For example, they'll charge $10-15 for a used t-shirt I purchased new for $4.99 at Walmart. They charge $8 for discolored mason jars I can buy new for less than a dollar.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It really is a shame. I took a look at what they had at Walmart. I couldn't find anything that was comfortable and not loose fitting in the wrong places. (if I can get them up it's like they're baggy in the legs, if they fit right in the legs they probably won't get over my butt)
    It's going to take some time.
    I don't mind wearing used clothing if I know where they came from. I was recently gifted an entire wardrobe. (Long story)
    Tops fit, some dresses too. Pants are a toss up really. (Before I lost the 20 almost nothing fit)
    Plus not all pants are work appropriate. I work in a rail yard and also have to visit customers so it varies from day to day. I don't want to bend over and have jeans/pants falling off or showing my bottom. Lol.
    I suppose until I find more clothing I'll have to work with what I have.
    Thank you guys for giving me ideas. They are helpful. When I'm out and about I'm going to try my best to stop at stores and see what they have.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart works. But for the same price you'd probably get something nicer from the thrift store.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Whatever you buy, I suggest not putting them in the dryer to start. Assuming you are still losing weight, put the new pants in the dryer once they start feeling a bit big. That was what I did while losing a large chunk of weight.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Be a bit careful in buying "transition clothing" (i.e., clothing to get you through going from one size to another), in that you don't settle for badly fitting or poor quality clothing.

If your local thrift store is over-priced (it happens), by all means go to Wal-Mart. I find that for the same price I might get a higher quality item at Goodwill, but that requires time, patience, and luck. There's no right answer.

But be aware that Wal-Mart's sizes are rarely true to size. The sizes are typically labelled much smaller than they "really" are (hello vanity sizing!), and the clothing itself may not be consistent in size even within the same item. (For example, a Large shirt on the top of the pile may fit differently than one at the bottom. Really try on the shirt.)

Also, try to get items that "play with each other nicely" that mix and match well. If a shirt only really goes with one pair of shorts, that's not nearly as good as one that goes with half your wardrobe. Well, unless it's a really great outfit! :smile:
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    eBay is another good option.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Shop the sale racks at the mall or outlet. Are you in US? There should be holiday sales today and tomorrow.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable buying online, Poshmark is a great app! You can find some real steals on there.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    When I lost my weight, I shopped at our Goodwill, at that time jeans were $3 a pair. Also shorts and capri's cheap. I always came home and washed everything. I have a complete new wardrobe, thanks to them. Recently the jeans went up to $4.99 a pair, but shorts still $2.29. You will look so much better in clothes that fit, rather than your old big clothes, waiting tIll your at goal wont let you enjoy the smaller size you are now and what you have achieved.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What about Marshall or TJ Max?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I've bought jeans at Lane Bryant and shopped for them at Kohl's, but Just My Size at Walmart fit me better so that's where I'm going when I need new ones.

Sure, I might be able to get something cheaper at a thrift store, but this can take a REALLY LONG TIME. Thrift stores are my first choice for men's flannel shirts, however. Well, after stealing them from the men in my life, that is :lol: