LADIES! Very odd question! (Not about your period....)

xaMErica
xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
I just asked this question on my own page.. but I'm just very curious (and worried).

I was talking with some of my co workers this morning.. I was saying its been weeks since I've ran when one of the older ladies said that I shouldn't run on the pavement.. or hard surfaces. She says it will make 'things' fall down!!! Like your bladder can fall? I've heard of this before.. but does running really cause this? It doesn't seem likely, I know so many women that run.

:indifferent: I am so freaked out!

Replies

• SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Sorry, I'm not a lady.

But that sound like a variation of an old myth. I imagine her vague word choice indicates that it's an intimate body part we're talking about. It used to be said that if a woman ran a long distance her uterus could fall out. That doesn't happen. It's completely absurd.

edit: Well basically it doesn't. I found a link which claims to explain where the idea came from. http://exerciseandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2010/12/running-will-make-your-uterus-fall-out.html
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Technically they can bulge out - but I've never heard it to result from running. I wouldn't be afraid of it.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    It can cause uterine prolapse in a woman with pelvic floor issues. Just like running can cause a heart attack in someone with heart problems.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Start squeezing those special lady muscles and hopefully you'll be fine.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Start squeezing those special lady muscles and hopefully you'll be fine.

Best line ever!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    I'm an Ob/Gyn. That's total and utter BUNK.

Being OVERWEIGHT makes your bladder / uterus fall (constant pressure from above). Bad genetics makes things fall. Having kids vaginally makes things fall. Smoking makes things fall (weakens the tissues over time).

Running on pavement. NO.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Sounds like an excuse to me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Oh My! I've never heard of a marathon or any other race where lady parts and bladders were just flying out all over the ground. I think you're safe. Sounds like an old wives tale and a good excuse to be lazy.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Is it bad that I just laughed so hard I sprayed tea over my keyboard?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    best laugh i'll have today.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    <---- see my avatar

honestly our palaeolithic ancestors ran barefoot on rough terrain. If that caused reproductive issues in women the human genus would have died out a very long time ago.

There are medical issues (including injuries) that can make certain exercises dangerous. But aside from that the human body is extremely tough and adaptable. Just be sensible if you're not used to exercise, i.e. build up the volume and intensity of your training gradually as your fitness level increases. If you're running on concrete (which is harder than natural surfaces) wear a good pair of running shoes (which effectively imitates a more natural surface like grass or mud, i.e. what the foot is adapted for)

ETA: the danger from running on too hard surfaces (e.g. on concrete with inadequate shoes) is foot problems like plantar fasciitis, no danger of bladders or uteri falling out
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    It is probably from the "theory" left over from the days when it was considered wrong for any exercise to be done by "upper class ladies" they were considered too delicate to do very much, were always "ill" at regular and did not take baths at that time. It did not extend to the normal person though. It feels like a thousand years ago.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Oh My! I've never heard of a marathon or any other race where lady parts and bladders were just flying out all over the ground. I think you're safe. Sounds like an old wives tale and a good excuse to be lazy.

Sorry that made me laugh.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Lmao. I work in health care. Your Uterus or your Rectum will fall before your bladder will?! And that condition is not caused by running on pavement. You shouldn't run on pavement if you can avoid it because it's hard on your knees, but it's better to run on pavement than to not run at all.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Just back from my usual Saturday 5k run. Pleased to report that all my bits are still intact!
  • foody44
    foody44 Posts: 21
    LMAO!!! This gave me a good morning laugh! I run a fair bit and everything is still where it should be
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Prolapsed uterus - a real and VERY serious thing.

Not caused by running.
  • Is it bad that I just laughed so hard I sprayed tea over my keyboard?

That was just your bladder exploding, runner! =P
  • sportmir
    sportmir Posts: 10 Member
    Just back from running 4,3 K. All parts are still in place. Only danger I had this morning was the unexpected bad wheater :-(. Husband came and saved me just before the thunder and lightning.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    As a man, is there anything I have to worry about? Will my (to use medical terminology) *kitten* descend or stretch somehow?