Processed

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
Are processed foods ok to eat during weight loss? What are some of the best options?

Also I have chosen to make water my go to drink 98% of the time (a diet drink 1-2 times per week). I know water is good for you but it is kind of bland to be honest. What are some alternatives or things I can add to make it more flavorful and better to drink?

Thanks

Replies

• HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have avoided them, you would be amazed at the sugar in even "healthy" processed food. I have no problem drinking 4 Liters a day but I see alot of people with the water bottle that had a lower compartment for fruit that flavors the water
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    "Processed" doesn't really mean anything. Do you mean foods with preservatives? Preservatives don't add any extra calories, so as long as you stay within your calorie and macro goals, you can eat literally anything you want and still lose weight.

I use Dasani/Mio/Crystal Light water drops to spruce up my water. They are zero calorie, and help satisfy my craving for something sweet. If you mix it with club soda, it feels like fizzy splurge!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Overall calorie intake is what is important for weight loss. If you can fit processed foods in and still eat a variety of foods that help you feel full then that's fine (technically all foods are processed, but we get what you mean). I still eat pretty much everything I used to, but smaller quantities and less frequently than I used to. Nothing is off limits unless it causes you to go over your calorie goal.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight and improved all my health markers while eating all sorts of processed 'diet' foods. Now a few years into maintenance I've started gravitating towards a more whole foods diet, but eating processed foods during my weight loss phase worked well for me!
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of "processed" foods because it's easier sometimes honestly. I'm working on adding more produce and stuff but whatever, I stay under calories and I lose weight.

I add crystal lite to my water most of the time. I use the pure because it's got no aspartame and the aspartame gives me headaches so it's like 10 calories a packet instead of the regular 5, I just make sure to log that I use it.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm giving up fast food for a month. That's hard enough. I wish you luck. (I can't make good choices at fast food). I still have to have my lean pocket and baked chips every once in a while (processed).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    "Processed foods" as the term is used in the context of "avoid it" stories is really short hand for food that has sugar and salt added to it to make cheaper ingredients taste better. Food manufacturers know that adding sugar and salt to their foods increases both the amount we eat and how much we enjoy eating that food. Too many calories make us obese; too much salt raises our blood pressure. Thus, the "standard American diet," which contains a lot of processed food has resulted in a population that is too heavy and has high blood pressure.

There's nothing inherently wrong in eating these foods when trying to lose weight. They can make weight loss more difficult by raising the number of calories you consume or want to consume.

Simply, weight loss is calories in/calories out (CICO). We choose a number of calories to eat to have that CICO help us get to the weight we wish. For most of us, that means eating a number of calories less than we expend. Then we make choices. Would I rather have 100 calories worth of potato chips or smoked cheese? That tiny pile of potato chips is likely to leave me hungrier than the wedge of cheese so I choose the cheese. If I really want to spend more time eating that 100 calories, baby carrots with a little light sour cream and dill weed as a dip takes a long time to chew, certainly longer than the potato chips! Though I might enjoy two oreo cookies for that 100 calories, about 15 minutes after eating them I would be hungry again versus still chewing the carrots!