Eating whatever within calorie limit?

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I haven't had a taboo diet food every single day but I have them often enough. It doesn't matter for weight loss, truly. I do, however, get most of my calories from whole foods because from a common sense perspective it makes more sense to me to include foods with fibre, vitamins and minerals etc. The difference being I don't at all feel guilty or like I've failed if I have something like cake or pizza. I need to be able to consolidate my goals, the food I eat to reach those goals and life. You'll be fine
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want within your calorie goal. However, does that mean you should? I have found to get my chocolate in, I eat 3 hersheys kisses (for about 60 cal) or a tbls of semisweet chocolate chips. Usually I do not need a whole chocolate bar to satisfy the craving. It is all about balance.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »
    Sooo I've read a LOT of Internet woo in the past and have believe a lot of it for a while till I got onto mfp and was totally taken aback!

There's one thing I just cannot seem to get my head around is that you can eat literally ANYTHING as long as you're in a deficit. I'm someone who absolutely lovessssss chocolate and feel like I need a bit every day. I'm so scared to save enough calories for a chocolate bar and have one every day. I feel like I'd gain sooo much weight!
    Please someone tell me they have something bad everyday and have lost weight!!

I also used to believe that a person had to eat "clean," or eat a "wholesome" diet of unprocessed foods in order to lose weight (in addition to being in a deficit). But then I said, "Eff it, I'm going to eat those things I really like, but I will not eat them mindlessly; I will fit them into my calorie budget."

Miracle of miracles, I was still able to lose weight. It's not a myth. :smile:

Also, this:
    grmrsan wrote: »
    You can definitely eat chocolate cake and not gain weight, as long as you stay under your calorie budget. However, keep in mind that losing weight and staying healthy are not necessarily the same thing. If you budget too many calories towards the cake, you are taking from other healthier and more filling choices. This can cause you to be hungry sooner, and over time feel lousy.
    Absolutely budget for that yummy slice of cake, but make sure you're adding in the healthier and more filling stuff first.
  • LadyRaeB
    LadyRaeB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could "earn" your "bad" foods by going to the gym. Work out and burn 300 calories so you feel justified eating a 150 calorie chocolate bar. You'd still have a calorie deficiency and you wouldn't be cutting into your normal healthy diet to do it :smile:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't have dessert daily necessarily, but weekly yes. If I know I'm going to a social event, I plan for indulgences. What I find is that I'm more likely to make a high-calorie meal fit (and I'm not talking about drowned in sauce or shallow-fried; more like a hearty vegetable stew with chickpeas, green peas, and potatoes over rice with 1 tbsp oil covering four servings) and let the rest of the meal fall where it may within my calories.

I also make a lot of low-calorie desserts nowadays. Green tea granita is less than 90 calories to the half-cup. Meringue cookies are about 30. I've done chocolate truffles at 75-80 apiece.

I do exercise daily and eat back half my calories as well.

As of yesterday, I've dropped just over 68 lbs.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    the only thing with eating whatever you want - when i eat 2 eggs in the morning, it fills me up more till lunchtime. when i eat a bowl of cold cereal with milk, i get hungry mid morning. so with some foods, i tend to be hungrier sooner, which will make me eat more, and then it will not be as good for me on my diet.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Sooo I've read a LOT of Internet woo in the past and have believe a lot of it for a while till I got onto mfp and was totally taken aback!

There's one thing I just cannot seem to get my head around is that you can eat literally ANYTHING as long as you're in a deficit. I'm someone who absolutely lovessssss chocolate and feel like I need a bit every day. I'm so scared to save enough calories for a chocolate bar and have one every day. I feel like I'd gain sooo much weight!

The only "bad" food you can eat is the food that's over your calorie goal.

Or food that has spoiled. ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    the only thing with eating whatever you want - when i eat 2 eggs in the morning, it fills me up more till lunchtime. when i eat a bowl of cold cereal with milk, i get hungry mid morning. so with some foods, i tend to be hungrier sooner, which will make me eat more, and then it will not be as good for me on my diet.

To be fair, the food doesn't make you eat more. You make you eat more. You choose what goes in your mouth, you can also choose to not eat even if you're hungry!
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying... yes, BUT.... Keep in mind, there's a difference between weight loss and being healthy. Extreme example: People with cancer can have sudden weight loss as an early warning sign. That is not an indication of good health!

For me, health and fitness includes being at a healthy weight, but the bigger picture includes vibrant health, great energy, and being strong and healthy! That means eating mostly healthy stuff. It doesn't mean I can never have chocolate, junk food, etc... BUT... - for me, I avoid that stuff anyway, because it triggers compulsive eating for me. That's a food addiction. I have a food addiction, I'm aware of it, so I "just say no" to my junk food triggers. Not everyone has that worry.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    ... with some foods, i tend to be hungrier sooner, which will make me eat more, and then it will not be as good for me on my diet.

To be fair, the food doesn't make you eat more. You make you eat more. You choose what goes in your mouth, you can also choose to not eat even if you're hungry!

Indeed one chooses what to put in one's mouth but why make that choice harder? Some things give me the munchies (e.g. diet sodas) so I avoid them. When I want a snack, I consider not only how it tastes but how it will make me feel in terms of hunger pangs. I've been learning that something sweet, like fruit, in the evening will make me want to continue eating. Therefore, I am avoiding sweet things as an evening snack and going for savory.

A sweet treat in the evening doesn't force me to eat more. It does make me want to eat more at that moment. I'm not into self-flagellation so I'll just adjust what I eat when.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight and improved all my health markers while continuing to eat all the foods I liked, just at the correct calorie amounts. Doing it this way also made this whole thing realistic and sustainable for me, and I not only hit my weight goals but was also able to then transition into maintenance, where I've now been for several years. My food preferences have changed over time but I still eat what foods I want and haven't cut out anything that I love.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    LadyRaeB wrote: »
    Perhaps you could "earn" your "bad" foods by going to the gym. Work out and burn 300 calories so you feel justified eating a 150 calorie chocolate bar. You'd still have a calorie deficiency and you wouldn't be cutting into your normal healthy diet to do it :smile:

I eally hate the you have to "earn" your food mentality - it just adds to the negative associations/relationships with food - I can't eat this because its bad, I have to earn my chocolate bar etc

food is fuel - If you treat it that way - filling up your engine, so you can get the best performance out of your body, so much better
  • ayuri17
    ayuri17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have cake or donuts for breakfast every single day (I keep the portion to under 300 calories and eat well the rest of the day) and have lost weight. It really is all about calories in, calories out. So go ahead and have that bit of chocolate!
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm drinking a huge bottle of San Miguel because it fits beautifully into my calorie limit.

The only difference between my eating now and before I started losing weight is I control the amounts I eat. (And I maybe don't have chocolate AND pizza AND beer AND ice cream all in the same meal.... Maybe.)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options

The only "bad" food you can eat is the food that's over your calorie goal.

Or food that has spoiled. ;)

You know, I'm all about expiration dates but I've had sandwiches with mayo on them that were left out on a counter over night and nothing's happened so even that...