Walking??

Options
Has anyone lost weight doing speedwalking only as their exercise? Of course diet is the key and you must maintain a deficit and exercise only helps, but I don't really enjoy running or any other cardio. I do love speedwalking in a nearby park though, and was wondering if an hour everyday (about 4.5 - 5 miles of speedwalking) is just as beneficial as running everyday for like half an hour? I just enjoy walking more! Thank you!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    I just walk at a regular speed and I lost a bunch of weight and keep it off with mostly walking (hills or sand, but still.)

You have to find something you like and that you will continue to do.

You're lapping the guy on the couch, right? :smile:
  • joanner08
    joanner08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yup. I do speed walking daily and have lost 18 lbs in last 4 months. 6 more to go.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight without any exercise. About your question walking an hour versus running a half hour. i personally don't burn twice as much calories jogging as speed walking, its more like about 1/3. So i'd probably have to walk about an hour and a half to burn the same as jogging 30 minutes.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I don't run. Just the occasional walks. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. That can come from eating less, or exercising more. It doesn't matter which, or if you do both. Just log everything so you can see what you're actually doing each day.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I used to power walk and jog here and there. I don't mind it when it's a once in a while event for me. I do a lot of walking at work sometimes, it can be effective in helping aid weight loss.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I lost my first 50# with reduced calories and walking one hour a day. I don't speed walk per se, but I scoot along pretty good.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy! I enjoy walking and even just a 2 km walk in the woods behind my house are a good warm-up (especially as I then go to the gym which adds about 2km more). And who is to say that you won't end up walking even faster and further without much effort, simply because you enjoy the excercise and your body has gotten stronger?