119lbs at 5'5 what size are you?

Options

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    When I was slimmer than I am now I fitted anything from a size 10 to a size 18. The number doesn't mean very much!
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hiya. Well done so far! I'm 5'5" as well, still going but currently at about 142 lbs. In the UK so all UK sizes... For myself, I have a pair of definitely-vanity-sized 8's but usually seem to wear about 10's now. I started at 190 lbs and usually a size 16 then.

Well done you!!! You've lost a lot of weight too. Judging by what's being said an 8 would not be 119lbs which is fine. I'm more concerned with the size of the clothes and not the weight on the scales so I'll see how I go.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'3" or so, but I weigh 118 and I fit in to a US 2, sometimes 4.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am fully aware that every woman is an individual and we all carry weight differently but I just needed a rough idea to know whether my target is about right.

119lbs is the lowest healthy weight for youd height. Why would that be your goal?

I am 5ft5 and 133lbs and wear a size 8 top and size 10 bottom
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    5'5 and 138lbs here, 38-28-38, and I'm now comfortably a UK size 10.

I've been maintaining for the last three months and I'm not intending to go any lower than I am now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm your height, and at your current weight I wore Australian size 12 tops and 14 bottoms

I've never been 119lbs except when depleted and dry for a comp (so making a huge effort to get rid of water). I was a size 6. And tiny. And looked like a skeletal preying mantis.

I'm currently about 135lbs, and wearing 8s, sometimes bigger tops depending on the style, to fit my back/shoulders. I probably have more muscle than most girls would like, but I'm not big by any means!

I love that description. I can totally relate to the skeletal preying mantis look, which is what i achieved when i hit the bottom of the BMI chart.

Sorry OP, I'm 5"8 hovering around 146lbs and fit in an Australian size 8, although that can shoot up to size 10-12 depending on the brand. Different clothing brands equal different sizes for me.

• ENRiyard
    ENRiyard Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I used to care about the size more than how i was looking. Its all just a number. Im 5'6 and im 160 lbs. My clothes are probably every possible sizes. Office clothing size 10 from m&s,got jeans from h&m size 16, and recently got a holiday trousers from Debenhams size 12.
    Good luck with your journey xxxx
  • lisawadeson
    lisawadeson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate between 8st 7 and 8 st12 at 5ft 3
    Closer to size 6 at lower weight easy size 8 at higher.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    5ft 2" and I'm currently at 134.5lbs....I'm comfy in size 10 ☺️ I am vertically challenged though and my podge is squidged!
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 6 and when I was 119lbs I was a UK size 10
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5". When I was 8.5st I was about a UK 8-10, but I have a curvy hourglass figure so I sometimes needed to size up for my bust (which is a 30FF no matter what I weigh).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5", 132 lbs and wear a comfy US 6 (in most brands). Most US size 4's are a little tight, but some do fit and US 8's just fall off my butt. When I was 122 lbs last year, I was US 2-4.

If my conversion is correct that makes:
    Comfy - UK 8
    Little tight - UK 6
    Fall off - UK 10
  • Froggyh
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5", 132 lbs and wear a comfy US 6 (in most brands). Most US size 4's are a little tight, but some do fit and US 8's just fall off my butt. When I was 122 lbs last year, I was US 2-4.

Comfy - UK 8
    Little tight - UK 6
    Fall off - UK 10

I'm not picking on you here (I know this is what a Google search turns up - perhaps it was the case decades ago?), but I am constantly baffled by the persistent myth that US sizes are one size down from UK. They're not. To give you a bit of perspective, most UK stores don't stock below a 6, at the lowest.

The size guide for UK clothing store Next actually has what, in my experience, is a pretty accurate conversion. According to this, a US 6 is a UK 10. This fits my experience pretty accurately, where my UK size has always been 2-3 sizes bigger than my US size.

So your comfy is a 10, your tight is an 8, and your falling off is a 12 :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Froggyh wrote: »

Comfy - UK 8
    Little tight - UK 6
    Fall off - UK 10

I'm not picking on you here (I know this is what a Google search turns up - perhaps it was the case decades ago?), but I am constantly baffled by the persistent myth that US sizes are one size down from UK. They're not. To give you a bit of perspective, most UK stores don't stock below a 6, at the lowest.

The size guide for UK clothing store Next actually has what, in my experience, is a pretty accurate conversion. According to this, a US 6 is a UK 10. This fits my experience pretty accurately, where my UK size has always been 2-3 sizes bigger than my US size.

A few places stock size 4 in the UK.

US sizes are 2 different from uk.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    5'5 and 135, I started to get several comments about looking "skinny" and even "scrawny" from people who've known me forever. I'm a US 6/8, UK 8/10 depending. I think my lowest was around 132, I can't imagine 119.
  • shadow2soul
    edited July 2017
    Options

Comfy - UK 8
    Little tight - UK 6
    Fall off - UK 10

Going by their measurements (not the conversion chart) I am about size UK 8. A size 10 would be pretty loose.
  • Froggyh
    Options

Comfy - UK 8
    Little tight - UK 6
    Fall off - UK 10

Going by their measurements (not the conversion chart) I am a size UK 8.

Huh, that's interesting. You must shop at different stores than I do :P

Last time I bought any clothes it was US 6 shorts from the Gap, but I know there's no way I'm fitting into any of my old UK 8 clothes. On that chart I'm between 10 and 12, which sounds more accurate (though I haven't bought anything in the UK in about a year).

I think this discussion does make one thing clear, though, which is that clothing sizes do vary a lot and aren't necessarily useful in measuring progress :smile:
  • shadow2soul
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Gap is one of the places I fit into a 4 comfortably. Though their size chart says I should be a 6. I found with a 6 needed a belt.

I have shorts from Wal-Mart that depending on cut/style are 4-6. My work pants are all 4's (I have some 2's, but I need to lose about 6 lbs to fit them again).
  • ksamp39
    ksamp39 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 6 7st10 uk clothes size is a 6 ,lower in shops such as next.Going to a size 8 would be around the 8.5 stone mark for me but I have a runners body so guess it depends wear you store your extra pudding as to the fit :)