Looking for a great pre and post workout drink.

Options
Any recommendations for great pre and post workout drink?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Water.

Yep water.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Pre- Coffee, Post- chocolate low fat milk.
    Those are my two anyway.

ETA: Water throughout, I drink a ton of water every day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Water.

Thirded... :p
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    water is good. my preworkout is coffee, my post workout is a protein shake and more water. i dont drink too much liquid before my workout or i throw it up in my mouth when i put my belt on.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Water pre.

Chocolate milk post if I feel like I've earned it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sadia2828 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for great pre and post workout drink?

Coffee beforehand, chocolate milk afterwards.

No need for anything more expensive and well marketed...
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk and water and I also drink zero power ade
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It isn't a drink, but a banana post workout for me... (plus water). If I'm being really super-fancy, then a banana with coconut water.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Gotta go with water as my final answer.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    On lifting days c4 or coffee and post workout I make a protein shake. Usually a scoop of optimum nutrition gold standard whey, cup of plain nf Greek yogurt, banana, ice and water.

Obviously I'm drinking water like crazy before, during and after the workout.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    what do you want it to do for you?

not that i'd probably know the answer to a more-specific form of this question . . . i've never gotten more technical than creatine and whey isolate for that kind of thing.

i'd say coffee was my pre-workout except that's misleading. coffee is my pre-life.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    From what I have read caffeine 30min before workout, water during, and Whey protein after.

Caffeine - http://www.minervamedica.it/en/journals/sports-med-physical-fitness/article.php?cod=R40Y2010N04A0455 is just one study that has shown that caffeine may increase short term endurance and performance. It works more with lifting and HIIT as an elevated heart rate may not be desirable for steady state cardio exercise.

Water - Dehydration is more likely during intense training. Many researchers believe you don't need a prescribed amount of water. You just need to drink when thirsty. Here is a great video on why we may not need as much as people claim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8
    Still I work out in an old gym with no AC on a subtropical island. I sit in a pool of sweat after warm up lifts. I damn well am thirsty and think water is absolutely required.

Whey protein - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/ is a great article and is fairly detailed on post workout. "For maximizing MPS, the evidence supports the superiority of post-exercise free amino acids and/or protein (in various permutations with or without carbohydrate) compared to solely carbohydrate or non-caloric placebo" now studies are still conflicting on timing. Are they not always conflicting? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11350780 showed that "EARLY postexercise ingestion of a nutrient supplement enhances accretion of whole body and leg protein, suggesting a common mechanism of exercise-induced insulin action". So yes there is evidence that protein within 30min of resistance training increases protein synthesis.

Still why whey in particular? Basically it's faster to absorb into the body than other proteins. Egg for instance is more efficient in the amounts your body does process but it takes longer to synthesize than whey. What you are looking for in a post workout is something to hits fast to take advantage of the increased level of synthesis that was pointed out in earlier link.

You can take some of the fancy pre-workouts. I now take MP Assault but am switching to Transparent Labs Lean once is gets here. There are other not as studied supplements in these and they may or may not help you.

Personal Opinion:
    Start slowly and give body a week at least before adding more than 1 supplement. If you add in a bunch at once you cannot judge if it's helping or not. You might also have side effects and would be hard pressed to point the one causing issue. If you do supplement it's also better if you keep a log with vitals and overall feelings both day of and days after taking. Something may help or hurt recovery and you might not put it together if not logged.

• JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Base Amino with a scoop of Gatorade. Have it before, during, or after. Gives energy and helps with recovery. Depending on the intensity of your training sessions you will need more than just water.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio in the morning. Then coffee and some protein bar or protein shake. If lifting, then water and electrolyte during. I'll eat lunch after.
  • Jjones2206
    Jjones2206 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Per workout - A cup of decaf coffee blended in with 2 tablespoons of MCT oil and post work out water. Almost never feel the soreness most have after HIIT
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have a coffee with half & half every morning, then lots of water. Then I run or Zumba for an hour. If water afterwards doesn't do it for me, I drink Gatorade G2 for the electrolytes and I find that refreshing.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Depends on your workout. If you incorporate weight lifting: pre workout - coffee, black about 20-30 minutes before you work out. It will give you a boost to really push through your workout. Post workout: a good protien shake, find something without artificial sweeteners (Syntha -6 is one of the WORST things you can have), and drink it with water only.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    Depends on your workout. If you incorporate weight lifting: pre workout - coffee, black about 20-30 minutes before you work out. It will give you a boost to really push through your workout. Post workout: a good protien shake, find something without artificial sweeteners (Syntha -6 is one of the WORST things you can have), and drink it with water only.

Why water only? What would be wrong with protein powder and milk?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

What is it baout Syntha-6 tat makes you call in the worst?
    mmapags wrote: »

Why water only? What would be wrong with protein powder and milk?

Nothing, just the difference in calories.