Daily vs Weekly Weigh Ins?

Options
Since this is such a preference question, I would love to hear your thoughts on what keeps your weight the healthiest in terms of weigh in frequency. Do you prefer daily or weekly scale checks and what gives you the most success? Thanks!

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use a trend app. I used to weigh weekly and if it was a good weigh in I would be in a good mood. If not, I was beastly. This change isn't just from weighing daily, I did a lot of work to love myself/reduce the importance of the scale. But weighing daily has made the weigh in just another data entry. Log it and move on.
  • pmyn29
    pmyn29 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think daily is fine to keep an eye on, but I wouldn't make any decisions, like adjusting my calorie target, based on it since weight tends to fluctuate when checked daily. But like you said it's personal preference. Personally I do weekly but I'm not too concerned with the number on the scale.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I weight in daily - its easier to observe trends vs. once a week where you might weigh in on a day where your weight is up (overall your avg might be down, but you can't tell if you only have 2 data points, vs 7 from weighing daily)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,010 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Daily weigh ins taught me that fluctuations are normal and that I gain at ovulation as well as premenstrually. I would probably freak out more about weekly weigh ins that happened to be "bad", but could have been caused by temporary water retention due to hormones, Chinese food, etc.

I'm up 2 # today due to having a fabulous 4th of July weekend, and am fine with that, cuz I know it's temporary and will be gone in a few days. I didn't actually eat 7,000 extra calories over the weekend.

After a very long period of weighing daily, I switched to weighing monthly for a while, and let's just say that was a BAD idea.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I weigh in whenever I feel like it - sometimes it's daily, sometimes it's weekly, but mostly somewhere in between. It holds me accountable! I know that's not how it works for everyone though. It can be very helpful for some people to weigh every day, it can counterproductive or it can be somewhere in between for others.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily and track on Happy Scale. I definitely think that seeing the overall trend is a better indicator of progress.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Daily. I recently found out that eating high sodium foods really puts on water weight for about 3 days. If I weighed weekly, I would never know this.