Local Grass Fed Meats

Options
kimie54
kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
My husband and I just bought some from a local farm. We tried the ground chuck today. It certainly is different, and hardly and fat. I used a George Foreman grill to cook it, and even the stuff that drained off looked different. It was just a couple of tablespoons of grease vs. grease, and what I'm guessing is water in the store bought stuff. Does anyone else buy pasture raised beef or pork?

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    We only eat local, grass fed beef, (we go in on a beef share a few times a year). It's very low fat and burns easily, especially in ground beef form. I don't even drain after cooking because there's so little fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do (nearly all the meat I eat is from a local farm, and pastured), and hadn't noticed the ground beef being particularly different from what I recall. I used to buy very low fat ground beef from the store, so probably if anything this has more fat in it. You notice a difference more with beef with cuts that would normally have more fat, IMO, and you may need to cook them taking that into account, but on the whole I don't find it that big a difference.

The pork chops are quite different, because they are from a different breed (and have more fat, but also are incredibly delicious).