Caloric intake question

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
So awhile back my doctor put me on a 2000 diet because I was not losing weight. I realized after a bit that I didn't think it was going to work because I was still really hungry. I re-did MFP goals and it gave me 3300 calories. I did something called TDEE or something close to that and it gave me 4200 calories. I want to lose 200 lbs and I know my caloric intake has to be lower but is 2000 too low for me, giving I want to lose this much? I see my doctor again in a few days and will see what he says but wanted your opinion

Thanks

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Need height, weight, age, sex and activity level to provide any type of answer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    I think 2000 sounds good.

It will not be easy, but your weight is life-threatening. 2000 is enough for you to get good nutrition. It's going to be difficult for a while until you get used to it.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Need height, weight, age, sex and activity level to provide any type of answer.

What cmriverside said. There are 2 people in your photo so need gender - which one are you? You can get a LOT of food in 2000 calories, just maybe not what you're used to. But, of course, what you are used to is why you now need to lose 200 pounds.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'll elaborate a bit. At your high weight, the calculators kind of lose their effectiveness. You can lose at a much higher rate than "2 pounds per week." Myfitnesspal doesn't allow for a faster weight loss rate, it's just a function of this particular program. You are outside the most common weight range.

You don't "need" 3000 calories. Your body has plenty of fat to use as fuel. Ask the doctor to refer you to a Registered Dietician.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Okay, I see that you're male. You can get a LOT of food in 2000 calories. Maybe not what you're used to - but what you're used to is why you are now trying to lose 200 pounds. Of course, height, age and activity levels are important. But you're working with a doctor - so try to follow that guidance. You're changing your lifestyle to change your life!
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to the advice of the medical professional. They have access to all your vitals. We don't.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is workable. Look at the /1200isplenty subreddit for meal/snack ideas. Also, there's a volume eater's thread here that would help you.