Filling and nutritious foods?

Options
mehreen_xo
mehreen_xo Posts: 78 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hey so I have about 25lbs to lose and have recently been counting calories strictly and exercising. However I have found my "problem". I have a tendency to save too many calories for non nutritious snacks like cakes pastries chocolate (mainly) biscuits etc that I constantly crave as I'm so hungry all the time. But that's because I don't really know which foods I should have come lunch time or for a snack that will keep me satiated. Does having lots of veges fill you up? I love broccoli but I don't think I have enough of it to fill me up, likewise with other vegetables and this causes me to stay hungry and then to junk foods. Recently about 300-400 calories that could be spent on nutritious filling foods are spent on foods that won't really benefit me! Helpp!!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    You might try increasing your protein, fats, and fiber. Non-starchy veggies can really help fill out a meal when I want volume but fewer calories overall.

I designate about 80% of my calorie budget toward nutrient-dense foods and 20% for treats.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Satiety isn't just about "filling up", it's about good nutrition. Some people like to feel filled up, others hate it and try to avoid it. Your preferences can even change. But everybody needs good nutrition. Nutrition is about balance and variety. Eating well is also about eating food you like and organizing your eating in a way that synchs with your daily life. If you can, cook. When you cook, you are using foods that belong to a food group. They are simple, close to their natural state, cheap and versatile. Foods can be grouped in many different ways, but I think this is practical:

Fruit
    Non-starchy vegetables
    Meat, fish, eggs and pulses
    Grains and starchy vegetables
    Dairy
    Nuts and seeds
    Oils and fats

Every day, have something from every food group. For every meal, have something from at least three groups. Have different things through the day. Over time, try to eat as many different things from each group as practically possible. Don't be afraid to try new foods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Look at how much fat and protein you're getting.

I have never found fruit and veg to be filling as snacks.
  • lexidanko14
    lexidanko14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Every body is different so you need to try different things until you find what works for you! Try incorporating healthy fats(avo, nuts, eggs) into every meal because they will fill you up. Having a balanced meal of healthy carbs(in moderation), lean protein, and a healthy fat can really do the trick! Making veggies your carb source can be more filling in a healthier way than just rice. But again it may not work for you but it's worth a try.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty suprised people are recommending non-starchy carbs when potatoes and other starchy carbs consistently show to be some of the most satiating foods out there.
    eat-640.jpg

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    How was the index determined?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

You can read more here about how they conducted the study:

http://www.diabetesnet.com/food-diabetes/satiety-index

They used white bread as the baseline and tested individuals level of hunger every 15 minutes after consumption of 1000 kilojoules (about 240 calories) of said substance.

I've also seen several other studies related to satiety of certain foods (like "white vegetables" and "grains" and "glycemic index effect on satiety") and some foods (potatoes, boiled white fish, and oatmeal) have consistently rated high for satiety. I don't have these studies on hand as i'm out and about, but i think that's pretty interesting.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'm pretty suprised people are recommending non-starchy carbs when potatoes and other starchy carbs consistently show to be some of the most satiating foods out there.
    eat-640.jpg

Yeah I eat a serving of potato for lunch and dinner. When I forget my potato for lunch I freak out cuz I'm like I need my potato or else I'll be hungry lol.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

You can read more here about how they conducted the study:

http://www.diabetesnet.com/food-diabetes/satiety-index

They used white bread as the baseline and tested individuals level of hunger every 15 minutes after consumption of 1000 kilojoules (about 240 calories) of said substance.

I've also seen several other studies related to satiety of certain foods (like "white vegetables" and "grains" and "glycemic index effect on satiety") and some foods (potatoes, boiled white fish, and oatmeal) have consistently rated high for satiety. I don't have these studies on hand as i'm out and about, but i think that's pretty interesting.

Thanks, that's super helpful. I also found this, and while the latter part of it is more of a response, the 'Objective' section on p2 was interesting. They had groups of 11-13 subjects eat a specific calorie amount of the assigned food (so different groups ate one portion of different foods) and then each 15 minutes, each person would rate their perceived hunger. After the final rating (two hours later), the participants got to go to a buffet and eat whatever they chose, but it's important to note that those choices apparently didn't factor into the satiety scores used to create the index.

I'm curious what sort of variation the researchers saw within the groups. Were there some foods whose ratings were more consistent than others?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    i think different people respond a bit differently to different food groups. fwiw though, for some reason apples are a real appetite killer for me. i love them but it's a bit like having a stomach full of styrofoam peanuts - just no room in there for a lot else.