Need help staying focused

Options
megjar
megjar Posts: 2 Member
Hey guys!
Since I moved I've gained about 30 pounds and I can't seem to stay focused on my goals long enough to achieve them. I usually eat and exercise really well during the week, but when I'm with my boyfriend I eat really unhealthy and end up spending most of the day laying on the couch with him.
It was my goal to lose at least 12 pounds this summer, which I think I can still achieve before the school year starts up again, as long as I have no more set backs. I'm interested in what everyone else does to stay motivated and on track when their partner isn't trying to work out or lose weight.
Thanks!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    To stay motivated? Well, I've lost 104 lb as of today and EVERYBODY is telling me to stop already. My doctor thinks I should have stopped losing already. My wife wants me to stop. My relatives who've known me all my life and I know they love me want me to stop. I've got 8 more lb I arbitrarily wish to lose. And I mean, it was an arbitrarily chosen number when I weighed over 250. One day, I figured I needed a goal so I scratched my *kitten* and decided to aim for the middle of the healthy BMI for a male my height. I had never weighed this little in my adult life. The last time I weighed this much, I was 11 years old. So, how do I stay motivated? I'm wearing the size of pants that I'll wear at 160. I'm wearing the size of shirt that I'll wear at 160. How do I stay motivated? What magical thing happens at 160? Well, nothing magical happens at 160. I know how to eat between 1600 and 1700 calories. I know how to exercise. I kind of like doing some exercise each day and even though I like to eat back exercise calories I kind of like leaving some allowed calories on the table, as it were. The lifestyle mode I'm in is to lose weight by eating below my calorie needs. That's not so much motivation as it is just the habits I've adopted over the past year and 5 months. The hard part for me is going to be choosing to eat more or exercise less.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well, it's perfectly okay to spend the day on the couch. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, so cut yourself some slack there and enjoy your boyfriend's company. What do I do when my husband doesn't want to eat like me? I make a meal of something I want to eat, and eventually he starts eating the cantaloupe I cut up into chunks or asking for some of that chicken stir fry. If you're hanging out at your place, you provide the food. If you're going to his place, you bring the food. What do I do when my husband starts eating potato chips and pizza? Well, if I've planned my day right and have some calories I can spend on pizza, I'll have a slice. Because, hey, that's food! I'd stick to one slice, though. But if I've logged my day's calories into MFP and have nothing left, I DO NOT EAT IT. You are in charge of what you eat. Don't make excuses.

You must be meticulous about keeping track of your calorie intake. As long as you stay in a deficit, you will lose weight. But you have to want it. What's motivating you? Think about that.