Fitbit food log

Hi,

I have been using myfitnesspal and fitbit for a while now. Basically I like the way fitbit adjusts my calories based upon my activity, steps, heart rate etc. But their food log sucks!

Can I just use MFP food logging tool and let it sync across the total calories for each meal? Then let fitbit do all the calculating of how many I should be eating (for weight loss), adjusting this due to activity etc?

Would this work?

Thanks!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Log your food on MFP and your exercise on Fitbit.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    you can actually link the two accounts, and fitbit will adjust the calories in mfp for you automatically. you keep logging your food as always in mfp, and just log your exercise through fitbit
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    you can actually link the two accounts, and fitbit will adjust the calories in mfp for you automatically. you keep logging your food as always in mfp, and just log your exercise through fitbit

oops, I was assuming OP was doing that :smile: thanks for making that clear.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member

oops, I was assuming OP was doing that :smile: thanks for making that clear.

No probs. I just thought what OP was asking was something that would already be happening automatically if the accounts were linked, so thought I should clarify.

Also OP, make sure your fitbit and mfp settings are all the same: timezone, weight loss plan (-1000, -500, -250Cals, etc). Also set your mfp activity level to sedentary. If you have any issues, there's a whole group on the forums dedicated to fitbit: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • fluffy_princess29
    fluffy_princess29 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for the replies so far.

My accounts are linked but I was unsure if I needed to have the same weight loss plan etc as I wasn't going to be looking at the data in mfp, only using it to log the foods. Does that make sense?

So at 6pm I would look at fitbit app to see how many calories I had left to eat, rather than looking at mfp, or is mfp easier? I presumed fitbit would be more accurate as it is using my actual activity heart rate etc?

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    This is just me, you might find you have different preferences but I find MFP much easier to use for everything on the Calories In side of the equation. That's what MFP is primarily designed to do. I use FitBit for everything on the Calories Out side. That's what it's primarily designed to do.

I don't have a weight loss plan in FitBit at all because I don't use it for that. Mine is set up in MFP. I think if you make sure your stats and goals are accurate in whichever program you want to use to track your weight loss, you should be fine. Someone who used FitBit for tracking food might know something different, though.

For me, they work well together when I use them this way and I find them very accurate. I'm losing weight at the rate I expect to.

On a side note, I also use Trend Weight to monitor my weight. It keeps me from getting lost in the day to day weight fluctuations.