Vegetarian or Vegan protein powder

Options
Can anyone suggest a veggie or vegan protein powder that tastes good and is relatively inexpensive? I have nothing against whey protein, I've just found that it tends to make me feel a lot more bloated than veggie or vegan :smile: - I have tried the Shakeology, but it's just so flippin' expensive!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Whey is vegetarian.... Have you tried WPI or WPC? WPC has some lactose which sometimes causes issues for people.

If you're in Australia, I know lots of people recommend Prana On plant based protein

I used to use sun warrior rice protein - I made myself like it, but in all reality, it was very grainy and a bad texture. I had to mask it in smoothies or yoghurt

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and i have to say... if you can get your hands on whey protein isolate it's worth it. i've tried practically every type of protein powder (from hemp, to pea, to soy, to egg, etc.) as well as many expensive vegan brands (sunwarrior, vega one, etc.) and whey simply has the best texture and flavor profile there is. I refuse to buy a big tub of protein powder i have to choke down.

i'm lactose intolerant and also get bloated/gassy/upset stomach with normal whey protein, but whey protein isolate is 99.9% lactose free and causes me absolutely no issues whatsoever.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    Myprotein do a vegan blend (Pea, Brown Rice & Hemp) and is fairly reasonably priced.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I tried a vegan one (peaprotein, sunflower warrior something) and it was awful! The best value protein powder is one you actually use! I now have whey and am happy with it!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Is there a GNC in your town? Pass by. Sometimes they have sample packs. And I think stores like Walmart and Target have vegan powders. If you don't like it, you simply return it even if it's opened. Keep your receipt.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I like Vega, they have it at Target (and I am sure a gazillion other stores) and it is not that expensive and I think it tastes pretty good (I put mine in unsweetened vanilla almond milk with strawberries and spinach). I could NEVER drink any protein powder in just water, I don't care if it has less calories it is just too nasty.
  • tumsashrinks
    tumsashrinks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you can get your hands on Hemp Protein Powder by Raab Vitalfood, it's my favorite of all I've tried, the only ingredient is "100% hemp powder of controlled biological cultivation" so no sugars or other stuff, and while you can taste slight hemp taste if you try to eat it raw (e.g. sprinkled on a sandwich or something), there is zero taste if you add it to a smoothie. I order mine from Boutique Vegan.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    meganw2020 wrote: »
    I like Vega, they have it at Target (and I am sure a gazillion other stores) and it is not that expensive and I think it tastes pretty good (I put mine in unsweetened vanilla almond milk with strawberries and spinach). I could NEVER drink any protein powder in just water, I don't care if it has less calories it is just too nasty.

I like vega too (vega one specifically), but I know a lot of people don't. It's sort of on the upper end of vegan powder prices, though.

I've been meaning to try the orgain pb, but haven't done so yet.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use Orgain organic Vegan protein powder
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use Kaizen vanilla from Costco in my shakes. I like it.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they have a good soy protein powder. It's vegan, and I think the vanilla tastes great. I have not tried the chocolate yet.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've tried them all -- my favorite is PlantFusion Lean Vanilla. That being said, Its not cheap. But half a scoop is plenty. Stores like Whole Foods have one-serving packs of dozens of brands. So does Amazon. Try a few before you commit. Vega was actually one of my least favorite.