What do you do when you feel discipline slipping

Options
Hi All,

I need a pep talk. I am still working at this but as time goes I slip more and more. Can any of you share ways that you reenergize yourself to keep going.

Replies

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Also, sometimes you really need to change things up to stay excited about everything. I've been a bit blah lately so I've been working on starting weight lifting. It's a process because I don't have space for a home gym and most of my local gyms don't have the equipment I need. But even the search for an adequate gym is giving me that boost I need to keep going.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Find that photo of yourself... you know the one... where you can't BELIEVE you got this big!
    Or
    Chew some gum/drink some diet soda or fizzy water
    Or
    Read the Success Stories threads here on MFP!
    Or
    Go for a short walk
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I find the nsv thread on here works great as motivation for me
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    newmooon56 wrote: »
    All excellent tips so far for sure and I will be utilizing one or 2. For me its like a video game... counting calories and making my macros look better than yesterday. Sure I crave the 'wrong' food sometimes, but I am sort of addicted currently to making my numbers look good and then trying to beat that 'level' the next day. Eating well I feel SO good - its an easy game for me to play daily.

I love this! I also have problems with continuing after some success and this may be something that will help me. I'm also starting to join challenge groups here on MFP to keep me focused.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I try to remember how horrible I feel when I go off track and put on weight. Most the time that works.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I read through the success story thread! Always re-kindles my motivation!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Well, depends where you are in the process and the nature of the slips. It's not possible to be mistake proof. If you keep a food journal make sure everything gets logged in, even when you've made mistakes or had lapses.

I think the foundation of discipline it trust in your process. Negative thinking and doubts make it harder to stay on track. Fight back.

Wherever you are in your journey, start over like day one. Redo all the math. Check all your assumptions about how many calories you're eating and burning. Be determined.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    It depends what I do really. There have been times where I have allowed myself a maintenance week to learn what that is. I have also given myself a reward in the not too distant future. For instance I tell myself "if you can do it 5 more days under whatever self imposed limit you are allowed to buy that new thingy you want" Or promised myself a massage or other pampering thing/stuff.
    I always ask myself why am I slipping, what makes me want to make the wrong choices and were they worth it?

I second @88olds trusting the process, I'll get back to it, I'd rather slip a little bit then big time, But it is also about relearning to trust that I can implement that process and myself.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've a long history of sabotaging myself or just slipping off track and "forgetting" to log/diet. And then finding myself 3 weeks later and totally off plan.

I'm sticking with it this time. The one thing I do when I can feel myself on the edge of packing it in is ask myself "Why?". Why do I want to pack it in?

Usually it's because I've had a bad day and I want comfort from food to perk me up. But I know now that food doesn't usually make it better, it doesn't take away the bad day or the feelings. So I decide that's not a good enough reason, and I deal with the bad day in other ways.

Sometimes I feel like I want to pack it in because I'm feeling restricted or deprived. So I think about what I'm maybe deprived of - have my carbs/fats been too low, have I had enough veg, have I said no too many times to my fav foods, am I not happy eating something new? I think on it, and i tweak. I either add it in, tweak the food portion or I squeeze in extra steps so I can eat more.

Goals are really important too, have a few mini ones just a couple of weeks apart.

The idea others have had of going on maintenance is really great too, might borrow that one myself in the future!

You can do this!
  • flower761
    flower761 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house and get walking around. Look at clothes that you look forward to wearing one day.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    THANKS everyone, great ideas.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I read through threads here or look for before and after photos, look for people that have proved that healthy habits are sustainable.
    You will make it! Remember we all have bad days. I have weeks where I slip, and I just pep talk myself back using whatever way possible.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have a couple of cardio machines in my living room and a perfectly good bicycle in my garage. I can earn enough calories in an hour of work for most of the unplanned and unneeded eats that I may consume in moments of indiscipline. For those other occasions when I want to eat, I want to eat now, and I want to keep eating without stopping to exercise, there's always tomorrow morning I can start over again.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I also visit the before-and-after threads for motivation, and if I'm feeling bummed about the scale, the non-scale victories thread.

The suggestion to keep old, less flattering pictures around is a good one too. Having the visual reminder of how unhappy and less healthy I was really helped me stay on track in the past. I'm going to dig up a few again.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Apparently eat a whole damn box of cookies :-(