Hello again... kinda discouraged

Options
Debs_Az
Debs_Az Posts: 19 Member
Hi my name is Debbie.. I'm 57, married with 2 amazing daughters and a wonderful 3 year old grandson. Life is fantastic all but this losing weight and sticking with a fitness program.

I first started out with Weight Watchers and got tired of spending so much money on it. My weight was worth its price in gold. I would get mad if I didn't lose weight one week because of the sheer cost. Loved the meetings but I work alot and so they really didn't fit in my schedule. I did lose weight on WW's- I started at 280 and worked way my down. But I kinda got burned out and fizzled out.

Now I weighed myself and found I had gained about 8 pounds.. I'm at 178. We have a Disney trip planned and I really want to fit in the rides and feel good about myself.

So where has your success been at? MyFitnessPal or Weight Watchers or Sparkle People?.. I also saw that there's another program out there called iTrackBites Plus. Has anyone tried that?

I'm really discouraged... I do really well then something triggers something and I backslide and there ya go.. pounds later I've regained.

What do you all do to get back in the saddle again?

Warmly,
Debbie in the desert

Replies

• horses4ever1414
    horses4ever1414 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do not be discourage we are here to support you. I was at 172lbs before the army and now I'm at 125lbs. I would not have gotten there if it weren't for MFP app you well succeed, but remember that you do not what to rush it. Good luck you got this :)
  • lisabassett4
    lisabassett4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started out at 170 and I have been doing this for about 6 weeks and I have lost 16 pounds so far. There are days that I feel hungry a tad but I found its not hungry, its boredom or I am tired and don't want to give in and go to bed. I have had days where I pushed myself to go for a walk for exercise instead of my normal sitting in front of the computer. I was upset last night though when I went to buy a sports bra and it took an hr in the fitting rooms each time that I had to go back in with yet a bigger size. had to buy a 2x. I told my husband that I was too fat to buy a bra cause I was so disgusted with my weight. He told me that soon I can buy a smaller size and to keep up the good work.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! One thing about your post stood out to me: the part where you do well until one thing goes wrong and you backslide and gain weight back. That sounds to me like you're relying on weight loss techniques that are either extreme or so far away from your normal eating/exercise habits that they're not sustainable. I'm a big fan of keeping your weight-loss practices close to your normal habits so that you're not trying to stick to a plan that doesn't feel natural.

All that's required for you to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. You can continue to eat your normal foods; you just need to eat a little less. I'd start by tracking my food in MFP and just trying to stick to my calorie goal. Try that for 4-6 weeks and see what happens; you can make additional small changes (if you want) after you've gotten used to hitting your calorie goal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think all of us have that "all or nothing" thing in us. The problem with weight is that if you don't stay on top of it, it can get out of control quickly. For me, I would far rather keep the weight off than have to lose the same ten or twenty pounds over and over.

If I weigh myself and I'm more than four pounds up, I simply cut back a little bit until I'm not any more. I mean, if I stay on it, it doesn't get out of hand.

I agree that logging food every day and weighing yourself every day is critical. Even if it's a guess on the food, that's better than going off the rails. Eat what you like, log it, and be consistent.

• rconboy64
    rconboy64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Could use someone to help with some motivation and guidance for low carb low sugar eating.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    rconboy64 wrote: »
    Could use someone to help with some motivation and guidance for low carb low sugar eating.

Why not start your own thread? This lady hasn't asked about low carb or low sugar.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I'm back again (and again). Lost 100 lbs, gained most of it back now. I've done so much in the last year I should be proud of (wrote 2 books, got into graduate school), but it's the weight that makes me feel like a failure. Stick with it. We can do it.
  • fitjanny
    fitjanny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on the more-than-100 lb loss! OK, so you put on a few pounds, less than 1%, after the big loss. You didn't go crazy. Dust yourself off (yes, easier said than done, but I know from personal experience, it's doable). Start using again the information you've gathered. You lost a bunch of weight and most of it hasn't come back! That is tremendous. Allow yourself to go on without too much self-flagellation.

To address your question, I too am recently returning to MFP, after a 5 year break. I find journaling really keeps me conscious. Daily journaling food and exercise. The journal app I was using on my phone was crashing too much, so I started using this web-based one. I don’t like the iPhone-based MFP because I apparently can't add foods for the previous day. So I take notes and add them later on the computer.

I am keeping track of cardio and weight training as well as carbs, fat, and protein. MFP will tell you what your calorie count should be to lose, for instance, a pound a week. I just make sure the calories I burn with or without exercise are more than the ones I ingest. It seems to work OK. I lost 6 lbs my first month back and there has been no deprivation.

I’ll be 65 in September. Just got 10 lb weights a couple of days ago, to go with the 5 lb weights I already have. I can easily do exercises in a short bursts at home and at the end of the day I’ll have done several sets of lifting. I ride my bike and walk for the cardio.