Transitioning from very low calories

Options
So I'm a bit concerned I've messed up my metabolism coming off a diet program that's had me eating under 1200 cals a day for 2 months. My energy is shot and I know I've lost weight eating less than I do now. So a typical day is something like this:
Bar (110cals)
Protein shake (120cals)
Tuna packet (70cals)
Piece of fruit or some low carb veggie with no butter
Bar (110cals)
Protein shake (120 cals)
Fajita-ish dinner-just the meat and veggies

I eat small amounts of healthy food every few hours and I know I have lost weight doing this before. I'm lifting weights every other day. I'm supposed to lose weight at 1600 cals a day and I think I'm under that, no way I'm over it. I haven't gained weight but I completely stopped losing. Could this be because I was losing with an unhealthy caloric intake and I messed up my metabolism? Does anyone have tips on how I can start losing weight again without going back on the program?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You haven't done much if any damage in 2 months, but the extra food/water/glycogen could be stalling your weight loss.

What are your stats? Where did you get 1600 from?
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I would estimate I'm eating between 1,100-1,400cals now. I don't think I would be able to safely eat less than I am now, that's why I'm pretty shocked I haven't been losing.
  • evilpoptart63
    Options
    Mfp recommends 1670 cals to lose 1lb/week lightly active. I'm 5'8.5" and 170lbs. I've never counted calories but I've lost weight successfully many times, I've just gained it back with pregnancies.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How long since you lost?
  • evilpoptart63
    Options
    And I started transitioning off the program about 2 weeks ago. I'm not completely off yet since I still have about 2 of the bars a day. That's also the same time I started lifting again
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    first, you need to weigh & log everything. My personal opinion is to eat how you plan to eat the rest of your life except less, otherwise when you reach your goal, you're more likely to gain it back. I'm far from being an expert but what I learned is it's not good to eat so little.You need energy, & your body needs nutrients. Take your time. Let your body & habits learn a new way of eating
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    So two weeks and you just started lifting? No need to worry or change anything at this point, you're probably retaining a bunch of water from the lifting, have replenished glycogen stores now you're eating more and just plain old more stuff in your stomach. You need to give it another couple of weeks.

That. ^^^^^^

So the answer is patience. Since time of month can also lead to temporary water weight gain, give it a full monthly cycle plus a little to see the net effect of the new level. I predict you'll still be losing.

Eating enough to reverse "my energy is shot" will be helpful - not because eating too little causes "starvation mode", but because having decent energy will mean you feel like doing more, and daily activity burns more calories than intentional exercise, for most of us.
  • evilpoptart63
    Options
    That all makes a lot of sense I was really hoping I wouldn't get the "you're probably just eating too much because you're not logging comments" because I know I shouldn't eat less than I do. I'll give it another few weeks before I get alarmed and start changing stuff. Thank you
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    That all makes a lot of sense I was really hoping I wouldn't get the "you're probably just eating too much because you're not logging comments" because I know I shouldn't eat less than I do. I'll give it another few weeks before I get alarmed and start changing stuff. Thank you

No one's going to tell you to eat less, but I'd suggest to weigh all solid foods (even pre-packaged ones) on a food scale and to use measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Even after all these years of seeing portions weighed to the gram, it's still really hard to eyeball. I can do that and then weigh and just shake my head at how off I was. Getting a really accurate picture of your intake can help you get the calories you need to see the results you want.

The new workout has likely increased water retention, like folks have said. Definitely no need for alarm, but being able to knowingly eat up to your calorie limit will help you get the nutrition you need get gain the maximum results from all your effort.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Your foods sound very unsatifying, it would not satiate me at all to eat that way, just putting out there why you may feel like your energy is shot.
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Go Ketogenic! I've never felt less hungry and more energetic in my life. Love it. Not addicted to food anymore.
  • evilpoptart63
    Options
    Holding onto water and glycogen would make a lot of sense. Especially because I've eaten like this before and had awesome results. Stalling out is frustrating though so I think I am actually going to finally get a scale and start weighing my food. It would be reassuring to know for sure that my diet is on point so any scale issues might be less frustrating. I'm really enjoying lifting weights and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm actually eating less than I should so it would be nice to have an accurate way to make sure I'm getting enough calories without going over.
  • evilpoptart63
    Options
    Thank you all dor responding, you brought up some really good points :)
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling really tired you may consider checking in with your doctor. It could be unrelated, like thyroid problems or anemia.