What are some fat loss plans/guides that work?

Options
I know how to eat healthy and what is considered healthy but I just find it hard to come up with meal ideas therefore I think it would be most beneficials to follow someones actual guide or plan.

For an example, i see a lot of fitness models on instagram offering ebooks online to lose fat and there are multiple 'diet' plans (keto, military etc) that give a structured meal plan on how to lose fat. I do not want to do a fad diet but I do want to find an ebook of some sort on what to eat and when to eat it

What are some plans you all followed to lose fat?
What are some ebooks you guys followed?

I am 147lbs and my goal weight is around 125.

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've only lost weight one time, doing an IF (intermittent fasting) protocol. Worked well for me and I'm now several years into maintenance. I no longer do IF but it gave me a good foundation-I learned how CICO works, what real hunger is vs eating for other reasons and then the biggest thing-I learned that I control food, it doesn't control me.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I wrote down a weekly menu. Ex:
    Monday - Red beans and rice box (with extra can of beans).
    Tuesday- Chicken with veggie, Wed- Fish and rice side, Th-Big spring mix salad, etc, etc. The real secret is I quit going out to eat !!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Any heaping plate of fruits and veggies will work. Add some lean protein and boom!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you want within the day's calorie budget. You don't need a structured meal plan- just MFP and a food scale.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    lnmuse wrote: »
    I know how to eat healthy and what is considered healthy but I just find it hard to come up with meal ideas therefore I think it would be most beneficials to follow someones actual guide or plan.

For an example, i see a lot of fitness models on instagram offering ebooks online to lose fat and there are multiple 'diet' plans (keto, military etc) that give a structured meal plan on how to lose fat. I do not want to do a fad diet but I do want to find an ebook of some sort on what to eat and when to eat it

What are some ebooks you guys followed?

I am 147lbs and my goal weight is around 125.

Skip the plans (ie: lists of foods you may or may not like).

Instead eat food you enjoy, however measure and log portions. Be accountable. This helps you learn about calories and portion sizes. You can then judge whether or not that food; 1. justifies the calorie count 2. helps you stay full 3. can be part of a nutritious diet.

Eat a larger % of "whole" foods.....veggies, fruits, whole grains as these often contain more fiber and nutrients. Get plenty of protein. Eat a healthy amount of fat. Stay hydrated. Move more.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lnmuse wrote: »

I am not affiliated with them, but i did the ELMM plan and had awesome results:
    https://youtu.be/VKs0oEIVOck?t=5s
    :+1:

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing would be to experiment to see what works with your lifestyle, keeps you full and satisfied and helps you perform optimally (while ultimately remaining in a deficit). I pretty much eat according to my macros... so getting a certain amount of protein, fat and filling the rest with carbs (also ensuring I get enough fibre and nutrient dense food). I keep protein at the center of my meals, then add veggies and healthy fats, and some carbs depending on what else I'm eating for the day.

If you are going to purchase an ebook, just make sure the person writing it is reputable and not just a "fitness model" trying to make a buck.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The NHS (national health service) in the UK has a 12 week programme which looks to be solid and sensible. Check it out and see what you think. I don't follow any particular plan myself. Just trying to maintain a calorie deficit using the tools here at MFP.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    To help you judge meal plans, the Healthy Eating Plate and the Healthy Eating Pyramid can help. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/ They are handy visuals for a healthy meal and a healthy diet.

Since, one can eat anything and lose weight, the two things a meal plan can do is tell you specifically what to eat and in what quantities. There are fewer of those meal plans available from reliable sources like the American Heart Association, etc., because the tendency now is to recommend variety based on certain guidelines. Others have filled that gap but not always with the science behind them.

You did mention "when" to eat things. Although there are some studies that have shown some small effects there is no clear indication that time of day, number of meals, size of meals or order of food consumed has much if any effect on weight loss.

Calories in/calories out (CICO) is really all that matters for weight loss.