Endurance and recovery

Options
Hi, I've been using Myfitnesspal for a couple of years, and managed to lose a couple of stone and perhaps more importantly maintain that loss for the last 12 months or so as I have become so aware of calories in and out through MFP. I'm now training for an unusual combination of endurance tests; 3 peaks challenge followed by sprint triathlon 48 hours later. I keep hearing how important protein is a a fuel, but a little confused about protein v carbs.

I wonder if anyone here has opinions as to effective diets that will enable me to fuel as I train, fuel in readiness for and during the 3 peaks, during the short window between events so I'm ready to go again and then of course to aid recovery afterward.

many thanks in advance to anyone who has views on this.

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Look up carboloading - there are 3 or 4 versions, choose the version that fits your head best.

Runners World has a few good articles on it, I would recommend them to you.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Can you give us some more information about these endurance tests?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you eat enough carbs for energy and enough protein to prevent muscle loss.

What works for me is 55% carbs, 15% to 20% protein, and 25% to 30% fat. If you exercise a lot and eat most of those calories it will give you around .70 to .80 g protein per lb bodyweight and plenty of carbs.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Is this the correct 3 Peaks Challenge? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Three_Peaks_Challenge

Looks like fun!

My inclination would be to suggest that you follow a ratio of 60:20:20 leading up to endurance events (generally speaking that's pretty close to what many runners and triathletes would be consuming year 'round). Don't be surprised to see the scale jump a couple of pounds as you up your carbs - 1 of glycogen bonds with 3g of water for storage.

If you're walking the 3 Peaks Challenge (as suggested in the article) I don't think you need to worry about carb loading per se in advance of that as you'll be able to refuel as you go along (assuming no food allergies.....GORP is great, chocolate milk has the perfect 4:1 ratio for recovery).

Similarly, you don't need to specifically carb load in advance of a sprint tri. Pasta and chicken are my favourite supper the night before and whole wheat toast & peanut butter for breakfast the day of (or,if you prefer, a bagel etc) If you want to fuel during the race the best time is the bike ride - maybe a gel (if you plan on using gels try them in advance to make sure you tolerate your chosen brand well) .

Get lots of sleep in the days between events and you should be fine.
  • Tiberg13
    Tiberg13 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks all. Yes, it's the national 3 peak challenge. Ben Nevis Scafell and Snowdon in 24 hours. We'll be walking, so can refuel on the mountain and while driving between mountains.